In the morning of our awesomly warm day last Friday (shouldn't every day be sunny with a high of 72?), I told Sarah we were going outside (or "upside" as Sarah calls it) to do a fun activity. Nope, not ride your bike. Nope, not shake the tree. Nope, not push the empty stroller, smell the neighbors' big rock or step on dried worms.
Sidewalk chalk.
She asked a dozen times, "Mom, wha ma ma doing?" which means, "What am I doing?", which she says when she wants you to ask her what she's doing so she can tell you.
Later that day we went to Canyon View Park for a picnic dinner and to feed the ducks. We got a book from the library about feeding ducks and Sarah was so excited and talked all day about how when Dad got home, we were going to feed the ducks. And I had been throwing the ends of our bread loaves into the freezer for weeks to get ready.
There was not one stupid duck at the duckpond! I was so disappointed. Sarah handled it better than me but she kept watching the pond for them which made my heart break. So we ate our dinner quickly and left to find a duckpond with ducks.
And we did. Like a half-mile from our house. These ducks were so used to being fed by people that they would eat right out of Sarah's hand if she would have let them. Justin and I had to throw bread away from Sarah to keep the ducks at bay. Sarah definitely experienced duck feeding that day.
You know how every pond has an "odd duck" of the group? The one with special needs or doesn't quite get what the humans throwing bread right at their beak are trying to do? I always try to find that one and make sure it gets it's fair share of bread. I couldn't find that duck because this dang duck was such a bully and would peck at the other ducks while they ate their bite. No wonder it was so fat.
So that's pretty much the highlights of our life. Justin is back home safe and sound so I'm happy and less nervous sleeping at night. I did get used to sleeping in the middle of the bed with all the pillows tucked around me but I was willing to give all that up to have Justin back. Marriage is about sacrifice, you know.
2 comments:
Sarah's hair has gotten so LONG!! What are you feeding her?! lol What a fun blog post :)
So, we should hang out before that little boy of yours arrives and you're stuck at home being all motherly. Your thoughts?
Post a Comment