Henry and I came home yesterday from our week-long visit to the NICU. The picture in the previous post is from his second day of life. This is how he looked hours after he was born.
His umbilical was tightly wrapped twice around his neck and during delivery the cord tore and he lost a lot of blood. He also had a hole in his lung. I held him for 10 seconds before they whisked him away to NICU. He required a blood transfusion and the doctors extracted air collecting outside his lung by inserting a needle into his side. He was a very weak and sick little baby and though no one put it into these words, he could have died.We were relieved to see him like this Sunday morning.
This is Sarah's first time seeing her baby brother. "She's so cute" she kept saying. We are still telling her "He Sarah. Say he."
The majority of our week was spent getting him strong enough to nurse to sustain himself. I lived in a motel-like room on the NICU floor so I could nurse him day and night all week. They wouldn't let him go home until he could eat 45 ml every 3 hours for 24 hours. We started off at 9 ml on Tuesday and the poor guy didn't have enough in him to nurse again until 6 or 8 hours later. After a lot of tears, prayer, water, and nursing, he was averaging 62 ml when we left Friday morning.
"I have to go back. I have to bring Henry home," I told Sarah one night before returning to the hospital after a short visit home. I can't even begin to describe the weight of the mantel put on my shoulders to get Henry better. He and I did it. Not without a lot of prayers and support from others but it was definitely our fight. He is my teeny little super guy.
When the attending physician told me we could go home yesterday morning, I really wanted to give him a high-five. "We did it." I said, through held-back tears. He is nearly a pound heavier than when he was born, has no lasting effects, is on no medication, and the hole in his lung healed on its own. All follow-up will be through is pediatrician. I can't take credit for any of that. I can't really take credit for anything.
Here's where I'd like to think Henry's life really begins.
9 comments:
I'm so glad he's home! That is one amazing little guy. I can't believe he overcame so much so quickly. And I can't believe you held it together the whole time! I would have ended up in a mental institution. He looks gorgeous, and that picture of Henry and Sarah is priceless. Congrats to you all.
WOW! I'm so glad everything is alright and you are both doing well. He is a very cute little guy! Congrats!
Oh I'm so happy for you! I cannot IMAGINE what you have gone through, but you must feel so proud and grateful looking back on it. It makes you such a stronger person I think. Your little family looks perfect!!
Wow Di! I am so happy you and Henry are doing well! I can't imagine having to go through that and pray I never do have to. He is so cute! I am so glad that he healed so quickly. Modern medicine is amazing! I am so thankful for the knowledge and technology we have! I hope sarah will be a good helper for you and Henry as you both get used to life at home! Congrats again!
Although I'm sorry he had to go to the NICU, those are my old stompin' grounds, and it has a fond place in my heart. I hope they treated you well and made your time there as easy as possible. :) He's so cute and you guys are a darling family! Congrats again to you guys!
My oldest had to be in NICU for 5 days and it wasn't even serious, just breathing too fast. I know how that felt and it was nothing compared to what you must have felt. I am so happy for you that he is home and doing so well. What a blessing. PS, I can't wait to try to melting cake!!! Just need to find dishes to make it in.
Wow Diana! I am so glad he is home and doing well after all that. What a blessing. He looks so tiny and very very sweet! Especially that picture of Sarah holding her new baby brother. She looks so happy and excited to have him. I'm excited for your future with the kiddos and the funny posts that are sure to come. Its so much fun with 2! Hope you are feeling good!
Thank you for sharing this Diana. We are so thankful that your little boy is doing so much better. Congratulations!
Oh Di, this post just made me want to cry! I'm so glad that he is home where he is supposed to be and that all is well. What a blessing that he was able to heal so quickly. You are so amazing and such a good mom. I hope Sarah is adjusting okay and that you are recovering well. He is SO CUTE!!! He looks like a boy version of Sarah. The pictures look like his hair is kind of reddish, is that right or is it just the lighting? I can't wait to come and see him, when you are feeling up to it. Please call me when you are up to visitors. Love you girl!
Post a Comment