At the hospital, they took blood and urine and ran all sorts of tests. He had a CT scan and they put in an IV (those two things were worse than the seizure). Everything came back normal and there's nothing wrong with his brain. His seizure was caused by lack of oxygen to the brain from holding it while crying. I never knew that could happen. From the helpful handout the ER gave us, breatholding is caused by the involuntary nervous system, not manipulation on the kid's part. So the safest thing is to not let Henry cry anymore. So everyone be nice to Henry. What baby wants, baby gets.
I can joke about it now since it's been 4 days but really it sucked. On the ride over, I was watching Justin in the car as he followed the ambulance and realized that nothing else matters but my little family. Everything I was worried about just 30 minutes before (Sarah's hair, Cheerios, clean faces) didn't matter. My mom and s-i-l Lisa came over to the hospital and their stories of how their kids scared the crap out of them was supportive and helped pass the time.
After given a clean bill of health they unhooked his IV and let us go home. We arrived just as church got out so Henry timed all this just right. I hope he's learned his lesson. After his nap, he was just fine. I was pretty emotional and traumatized for the rest of the day but went to bed feeling grateful.
What would I do if I couldn't kiss this face everyday?
Why do kids have to pose all crazy?
Sarah is obsessed with my mop. Everytime I pull it out (which isn't often) she freaks and begs for a turn. I've learned to just let her do it because she gets bored after like 5 minutes.
Last Wednesday I was a nice mom and took my kids for an outing that wasn't to the grocery store or the bank. We went to the Provo Temple and the Bean Museum and to Burger Supreme for lunch.
I've told you Henry loves water, right?
Friday we grabbed some dinner and headed up to Bridal Veil Falls. Henry was all smiles.
Sarah was all cheese.
Seriously. Next time I'm taking family pictures where Henry can see a river or waterfall because he won't stop grinning.
Mmm handsome.
This is Sarah playing school. She doesn't really know what school is like but that's what she called it. It was more like a bossy tea party.
Later as I was folding towels (trying to, anyway) Sarah was making "campsites"
I don't really know how to preface this video. Hopefully that still-shot makes you curious enough.
Last weekend (like 10 days ago) Justin and I went to SLC to stay overnight now that Henry is all weaned. It had been a year and half since we last got away for a night. It was to celebrate our anniversary a little late and Justin's new job. We stayed at the Marriott, walked around City Creek (very cool but nearly all the stores are way too fancy shmancy), and ate at the Cheesecake Factory. Saturday, Justin surprised me by taking me to Park City to go horseback riding. I was so excited! My horse was named Smokey, Justin's was named Duke. Leah, our guide was super cool. She stuffed her sandwich into her shirt pocket to adjust my stirrup straps. I am so happy I just got to type that sentence. It was kind of scary to sit on something that could buck me off and trample me or just bolt while I hold onto dear life but I tried not to think about that. The 2 hour ride was surprisingly relaxing. Justin is hooked. I am going to check if La-z-boy makes a saddle. I have no pictures because I forgot my camera.
7 comments:
You are wonder woman! Way to have a good perspective after the scare with Henry. When Steve was little - whenever he got even a little fever he would have seizures - it happened all the time until he finally turned 8. Not funny! Henry is completely adorable and Sarah looks just like you! :) Hope you guys are well!
Oh my gosh Di, I was reading this post out loud to Keith and I got emotional! That is so scary! I didn't know that could even happen. I'm so glad that he is okay, and hopefully that doesn't happen again!
Yikes! That boy! I guess that is one good reason to spoil a kid and keep him happy. I would have freaked right the heck out. I'm glad you guys kept it together and got him taken care of. And how fun for you to have a night out! I look forward to that someday. Sarah is so cute. That video made all of us laugh.
That would be terrifying! I would have been a wreck! I hope that never happens again, for his sake and yours. Your kids are adorable, I hope we get to see Henry in person sometime!
I'm glad Henry is okay! I've already had an ER run with my little guy too, no fun at all! Definitely puts things into perspective. Anyway, I love your blog posts, you always make me laugh! And your kiddos are super cute. :)
SO GLAD HENRY IS FINE!!! That would have terrified me to death!!! I hope he never does that again to you guys. On a lighter note glad you two got away! Sorry we didn't get a chance to hang out again before we moved! I will let you know when we are in Utah again!
Justin's horse was named "duke"? did he ask for a different horse? were any available? do the guides let you discriminate horses based solely on their name?
Post a Comment