Saturday, December 8, 2012

Thanksgiving and caving into the demands of a preschooler

Thanksgiving may be old news but since my motto is, If I don't blog about it, it didn't happen, here's Thanksgiving.

The Monday before Thanksgiving we made this awesome turkey for FHE. And check out Sarah's equally cool turkey crown she made at preschool.
 This is the day before Thanksgiving. I sure like November days when we can play outside in short sleeves.
 Goof-ball
Henry LOVES his sister and loves when she plays with him. Notice his tongue? That's how we know he's concentrating.
I'm waiting for the episode of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood about not picking up your baby brother. If Daniel sings it, she'll listen. I already have the lyrics to the song:
Don't pick up your brother. 
He doesn't like it 
and neither does Mom. 
Big brothers are for hugging, not lugging. 
(The songs on the show never rhyme either.)
 Cute little stinker that never listens!
I made Sarah and any other niece and nephew I could snatch color turkey napkin rings for Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone had to wait for them to finish up to actually set the tables and eat. They were a hit. At least I'd like to think so.
 On the back they wrote something they were thankful for.  Here's one of Sarah's.
 Turned out cute huh?
Here's Henry. That's the last of the pictures I took on Thanksgiving. Once I started eating, I didn't stop for nothing.
The day after Thanksgiving we went to Krispie Kreme after the Dye family party.  Sarah picked this snowman doughnut. She didn't want to eat it that night or the next day or the next day. I told her she needed to eat it. "But I'll miss it," she says. "Well if you don't eat it, it will go gross and we'll have to throw it away anyway," I explained.  Now imagine the conversation continuing for several more minutes, she saying the same thing, me trying to reword what I'm saying in terms that will help her understand that she cannot keep her doughnut forever, no matter if she eats it or not. 
We get nowhere so I decide to just stop talking to her about it.  Then Justin comes home from work and after dinner the subject gets brought back up by me (because I think she eating it will be less traumatic than me chucking it so I'm really trying to get her to eat it before it would make her sick) and the tears start flowing. Justin and Sarah have a nearly identical discussion/argument to what she and I went through that morning.  See in the picture how it looks like she's been crying?  She had.  A lot. Reminded me of the Great Balloon Loss of October 2012. Somehow Justin gets her to eat the doughnut. He takes lots of pictures of her and her precious snowman doughnut to remember the good ol' times and she eats it. And I just realized she hasn't brought it up since. Hasn't wanted to see the pictures and hasn't wanted another one. <shaking head>

I made this nativity out of wood blocks for the kids to play with. Sarah didn't quite understand the story behind them and sang "Mary had a little lamb" while playing with them on the stairs.
 That turned into playing a London Bridge is Falling Down-type game while singing Mary Had a Little Lamb.
 I sure loves me some getting-along kids.
Our neighbors across the street had their tree and lights up November 1 or something obscene.  Then two weeks before Thanksgiving, houses all over the neighborhood are lighting up.  That's fine, free country and all but it made Sarah very persistent that we get our decorations up much earlier than I like. (I just get tired of them by December 26 so I wait as long as possible). I think she thought we were the last family in the world to have a tree.  I'm more of a wait-until-December type and Justin is a don't-you-dare-before-Thanksgiving kind of guy so we've never had a problem waiting until December. November 30 I caved much to Sarah's delight.
Henry and Sarah actually make a good team. He likes to pull them off, she likes to put them on.
Our tree looks good on the top third, bare on the bottom third and totally full in the middle which is where Sarah puts the ornaments after Henry pulls them off so he won't do it again. Someday I'll have a stunning tree with coordinating ornaments perfectly placed. And it will be boring.
Sarah is just super excited about Christmas this year.  I think this is the first year she remembers Christmas from the previous year. She's been asking a lot of questions about babies and Santa and both topics make me uncomfortable. I believed in Santa when I was a kid and it was all good and fun and I wasn't traumatized when at 8 I figured it out.  But I just can't bring myself to lie to her when she asks about him. She's full of ideas from watching Frosty and Rudolph and I can't bring myself to perpetuate the myth. Am I taking this too seriously? Should I just have fun with it? Yesterday in the car she proclaimed "I love Santa" and I got jealous. If she asks if Santa brought such and such toy in past years I always tell her no, mom and dad gave that to you. Is that bad? What are your thoughts on Santa? Do you downplay him?  It's not a "true meaning v. Santa" thing for me, I just feel weird lying and I want the credit.

3 comments:

Mary said...

I don't do Santa anymore. The only idea of Santa for Myra is holiday TV specials etc...but I dont tell the kids that this big fat jolly old man brings them presents, but the the idea of Santa is true and exists--it's a symbol for giving. But she still chooses to believe.

My children are much more realistic with any Christmas gift list they write...knowing that mom is buying it, not some magic man.

So downplaying it is not going to be anything negative...you let her believe as much as she wants and it'll be plenty.

Mary said...

(too many but's lol...)

Katherine said...

At our house Santa puts treats in our stockings, but the presents are from mom and dad. I don't like lying to my kids either. When they are old enough to straight up ask me if Santa is real, I'll basically tell them the same thing Mary said above.