Well let's get down to business. Or busyness. Justin had the entire week between Christmas and New Years off so we had him for 11 days straight. We made a list of all the things we wanted to do that week and accomplished 5 of the 9 (Sadly missed was seeing Les Mis. This weekend for sure!) A major wrench in our plans was spraining my ankle on day 1 of his break. But I did manage to eat all that was on my holiday food bucket list (I made and ate fudge on 3 separate occasions) so I feel accomplished...and resolved to eat no treats until Valentine's Day (44 days to go).
These are the towels Sarah gave away for Christmas. She drew the pictures on regular paper using 4 colors. Then I traced her creations onto flour sack towels using Sharpie markers. I made sure she used the same colors I had Sharpies so I could capture her drawings just as she drew them. I love how they turned out. And according to pinterest, they can be washed (not bleached) and the picture will stay. She had fun making them and telling the recipients all about their personal picture.
Messy Henry. I don't remember what he was eating. Any guesses?
Friday, the 21st we frosted sugar cookies. I love doing this. I love eating them. Justin, not so much but he was a good sport. Sarah could have done it for hours. Henry just ate the frosting I gave him to spread on his cookie. He's my kid.
The goods. They tasted so good. I know fancy decorated cookies are all the rage right now but nothing beats a soft cookie with a thick layer of homemade buttercream and crunchy sprinkles.
So as I mentioned, Saturday the 22nd we went up the canyon to go sledding. I hiked up to the top of the mountain and sled down a black diamond run, for sure. Half way down my sled crashed into a tree and my ankle smashed into the trunk. I managed to reunite with my sled and slide the remainder of the hill to safety where I fashioned a stint with some twigs and pinecones and walked back to the car.Okay, what really happened is I walked 20 feet up the hill, sat down on Sarah's sled, slid 10 feet into a shrub. I must have stuck my foot out to stop or steer but managed to slide over my foot at a horrible angle. I heard a pop and it went numb---like fallen asleep numb. I couldn't breathe. It felt wrong, all wrong. A snowmobile was brought to my rescue and I was hauled back to the car where I sat while everyone else loaded up my kids.
When we got home, Justin carried me to the couch where I sat for the rest of the day with ice on my foot. I couldn't walk on it until the next day. I still can't wear shoes. I bought a pair of slippers that I can actually slide my foot into with my brace on. Justin thinks they're ugly and if I wasn't so desperate for footwear, I'd probably think so too.
I can get around mostly pain free but I'm very slow and that's frustrating. And I have to take a lot of breaks. Listen to me go on and on like I'm the first person to ever sprain an ankle! But this is the worst injury I've ever had and it's my blog.
I thought about taking a photo of my foot for proof of the severity but my pride won't let me. I'm afraid if I post a picture of my swollen, black and blue foot, it's all you'll think about when we cross paths at the grocery store.
Christmas Eve we went to my Mom's house and ate what I call the holy trinity of ham, funeral potatoes and baked beans. Then the grandkids exchanged gifts, shared Christmas stories and songs then ate a lot of dessert. I didn't take pictures because I felt like an invalid and invalids don't carry around cameras when they need both hands free to walk. Then we took the kids home and put them to bed. Justin and I stayed up assembling things while watching Christmas Vacation. Then we played Santa and went to bed. I really felt like a parent.
Here's our tree just after Santa stopped by.
Christmas morning Sarah came in to get us up. She had already been downstairs. I asked her what she saw and she said, "I can't tell you. It's a secret." Ah, I love it.
Henry left half-way through and came back downstairs with his blanket. Then once he got hungry he wanted nothing to do with the rest of his presents. I opened the last few myself and decided to keep the last one for his birthday since he seemed satisfied and my living room is too full anyway.
Sarah got a fishing vest, Cinderella and a Cinderella playset, wooden paperdolls, some art supplies, chutes and ladders, clothes and books.
Henry got a slide, like 12 cars and trucks and this chime push toy, balls and books. The table and chairs and easel are for them to share and they actually do! It's great.Taking a break from all the unwrapping.
Justin got this awesome new hat, shaver, game, pillow and book. I got a new hand mixer, a stick blender, bedding, and a doughnut baking pan.
Sarah is very good at reading all our names so she was our little elf.
We wrote these service gifts a few days before Christmas and then Santa delivered them to our stockings. We each wrote a nice thing we would do for everyone else in our family. They'll stay on the fridge until we do them, I guess. I owe Justin a pie, he owes me a homemade dinner including clean-up.
My parents came over for breakfast then we went to Justin's parents to eat some more and await the phone call from Dallin in Brazil.After all the new toys, nothing beats his blanket.
Sarah's new outfit. We also opened presents with Justin's family. Sarah scored a pink sleeping bag (that she slept in on the floor for the next 7 days until I put my foot down) and Henry got more cars and new shoes.
Justin's dad deep-fried a turkey for dinner. I may never be satisfied by turkey prepared any other way. And they didn't catch anything on fire. Win-win.
Isn't the day after Christmas almost as fun as Christmas day?
I love my little family.
We played lots of games, ate lots of food, went to an arcade, returned gifts, bought more stuff, played more games, ate at Bombay House and stayed up too late.
Next post: Justin's birthday and our trip to Logan with my family that includes a near-death experience in the middle of an elk herd.
We leave you now with a little Christmas cheer.
3 comments:
I just have to say you have such a cute family! Seriously, that video kills me, Sarah is darling! And I love that Henry is a little red head! Aren't they the best!? Just had to tell you that... and your blog posts keep me entertained! :)
sorry you hurt your ankle. That's no fun. Moms dont have time for injury or sickness!
Love all your fun family traditions! Can't wait until I have kids old enough to start some fun ones.
Glad you had a great xmas!
I'm so sorry about your foot! That sucks! I hope its on the mend. Keith sprained his ankle a couple of years ago right before Christmas too and it sucked! We are just getting over being sickies and then I want to have you guys over for a play date, we finally finished the play room! :)
Post a Comment