Thursday, May 15, 2014

Henry Turns 3

I didn't know where Henry was just a few minutes ago so I checked his room. He is in his bed under his blanket, fast asleep. What kid puts themselves down for nap? I wish I could say this is a sign that the terrible two's are over. But I know better. Terrible three's are far worse.

Yesterday was Henry's birthday.  When he woke up, I told him happy birthday and he told me happy birthday right back. He did it all day. 

After a week of pinkeye, colds and stomach flu, I was ready for a party. We started things off right with a table full of presents. I had asked Henry a few times what he wanted for his birthday and he'd say, "A football cake!"
"Okay, what do you want for your presents?"
"Orange presents!"
So I wrapped a few things in orange paper.  And I decided to take pictures of him opening his presents instead of video because hearing me say "Sarah, let Henry do it" gets a little old.

"A scooter!"
Sarah, of course, had to take a turn right away.
Sarah had been sad for Henry all year since he broke his sunglasses (on purpose) last summer. So she got him some new ones. He wore them all day, indoors and out.
Drinks I never buy but he always asks for. And a big bag of candy that I love and I hope he likes.
A motorcycle helmet to wear instead of a bucket.
Justin, of course, had to take a turn right away.
 Space Jam.
 Little Critter Collection and Gruffalo. This boy loves books.
After breakfast we headed to the Provo Rec Center to swim. We hadn't been there yet and I wanted to go before school let out and it got all crazy busy.  So Justin took the day off and Nadine came so that we could play in the water 1 on 1 with the kiddos. Henry didn't want to go until he saw Sarah go out then he put on his swimming suit.  He had a blast. So did Sarah. They loved it so much that I had to promise them doughnuts to get out them of the pool.

Messy birthday powder doughnut.
 Sarah approves.
Justin took a nap (he was still recovering from some weird stomach bug) and the kids played outside. Then we got cleaned up to go to the park for dinner and cake.

Henry has been talking about his football cake for months. I'm glad I didn't disappoint.
 I always think the cakes I make are harder than they should have been. But I had fun making it and Henry was pleased.
 He sang right along with everyone.
After playing on the playground, he opened his presents from Nana and Papa -- a sleeping bag and Buzz Lightyear flashlight. He cried all the way home and all through getting ready for bed that he wanted to go camping.
"This is the best day ever," he kept saying all day long. 

1 comment:

The Goodrich's said...

Awww, cute! Looks like Henry had a great birthday!!