This was what I said to my doctor 19 months ago at my first pre-natal appointment. He smiled in his kind, understanding way and said, of course, "With the first you don't know how scared you should be. By your third, you know."
From the moment the test came back positive right up until I delivered, I felt trepidation about bringing a third child into my life. I barely could manage the two that I had and I knew full well the intense work a newborn
Her. Another girl. Memories of the challenges and downright unpleasantness of Sarah's first year clouded my thoughts. Just looking at some of Sarah's baby clothes brought back bad memories of screaming nights and frustrating days. So those clothes they went right back into storage. Sarah was the most challenging baby the moms in my family had ever seen. Henry wasn't especially difficult so to me girl=hard. I prayed a lot during this pregnancy. Father, help me do this. Help me love her. Help me be happy.
And then she was born.
And held this.
And loved this.
And watched this.
Erica came into this world with sweetness and peace in her heart. Sure, I had my typical "I have no idea what I'm doing" and "I am losing my mind" moments but she was a strength to me, not a drain. We sit in her room, rocking and snuggling, letting the chaos of the day whirl without us.
Looking back, I should have never been afraid. She has taught me one important thing.
God is good. He gives us more than we deserve and better than we expect.
Happy birthday Cuteface.
3 comments:
I loved this post! You have such a way with words. It's amazing how God knows us and our needs. Erica is so precious. I can't believe she's 1!
You do have a way with words...I love reading your posts. Can't believe little Erica is 1...happy birthday cute girl!
Wow - Diana, I felt like I've been reading my own feelings I've had all throughout my third pregnancy. It's nice not to feel like I was the only one who felt completely unprepared for three kids. I'm going to take the good chi you got with Erica and push those vibes on to my new little Rowland! :) Thanks for this post - AND your comment on mine - totally what I needed to hear, both times.
Post a Comment