Author's Note: This post is the first in a series called "A Decade of Love." Ten years ago this summer Justin and I "met" and began dating. I'm going to be nostalgic over the next 10 months documenting how we came to be.
In the summer of 2005, most of my roommates at BYU went home for the summer or went to Brazil so I was left with two roommates I didn't really know/care for. I told my coworkers at Nu Skin that I was looking for a summertime boyfriend, one with access to fun things. Instead I began hanging out with a group of guys I went to high school with that had recently all returned home from their missions and were living just a few blocks from me in Provo. Also, one of my bestest friends returned home from her mission so it was a high school reunion of sorts that summer. We hung out at each other's apartments, played games, wake boarded nearly every day after work, ate at IHOP late at night, and pretty much just worked to play. Ah, to be 21 again.
The end of July the boys were planning a trip to Ferron, Utah where Dave's grandparents lived. There's a reservoir near their house so the plan was to make Pioneer Day weekend a boating trip to remember. They invited me even though I sucked at wake boarding. Little did I know that Ferron, Utah is a magical place.
Justin drove his dad's truck and boat. Somehow I got stuck in the backseat with Shane and Moss. It got a little weird back there.
Dave and Shannon in the front.Our designated, long-haired driver.
For the next few days, we rose early, hit the lake, retired to the comforts of the hospitality of Nana and Pops, played card games, and hid Moss' copy of the latest Harry Potter book.
And got way, way too comfortable with one another. There was a lot of deck dancing to Celine Dion.
And Moss got the nickname "The Green Goblin"
Here's a rare picture of my beloved. I wasn't the one taking pictures that trip or there would have been many more. Although at this time, he was just one of the boys to me.When we weren't boating or cheating at Hand and Foot, we took the truck out digging. Judging by Justin's dress shirt, this was Sunday after church.
And more boating. I have like 20 video files of the boys wake boarding but I'll spare you.
Justin and Moss doing some synchronized wake boarding.
Getting a little artistic on the water weenie.It was during this rainstorm that we pulled the boat in. While were waiting our turn at the dock, Justin jumped out of the boat to help a fellow boater get his boat on a trailer. Drenched in rain, working hard to help a stranger, this kind gesture opened my eyes to what a great guy Justin was. No longer just "one of the boys" but began to stand out. What if he's the summertime boyfriend I'd been joking about? What if we dated and things got serious? Would I lose all these guy friends if it didn't work out? Is this a risk I'm willing to take? Stay tuned to the next part of this series to find out.














1 comment:
Yay! I love this and look forward to the next installment. :) You have not aged a bit, Diana! And I'm laughing at Justin's long hair and that necklace he was wearing-so funny!
Post a Comment