Saturday, October 15, 2016

Raising Erica

Living with Erica is an experience. I'm not saying she's the weirdest kid ever but she's definitely my weirdest kid. And it's impressive that someone so small can have such a big personality. I think it's her constant talking. She's chatty the moment she wakes up "I'm ready to get out of my crib! I closed my eyes and dreamed. I can get out now! Mom! I WANT TO GET OUT! "

She likes to show me what she's eating. All the time. I don't like it but she feels like it is important information.
She's pretty independent-minded. I think it comes from seeing her brother and sister do stuff for themselves so she thinks that's just what you do. For the most part it doesn't bother me except for when she makes huge messes.
I find her in strange places in various stages of undress.
Erica; Sarah is special to me.
Me: Am I special to you?
E: No! I'm special to Sarah.
M: You're special to me.
E: And I'm special to Sarah.
I just love her blue eyes.
Her goofiness I can credit Henry. He either taught her everything she knows or just brings it out in her.
She's the best little sister. She's game for any shenanigans he comes up with.

She's grown up a lot in the last few months. No more diapers? Hair long enough to braid? She's on the verge of losing her crib to the baby too. She's handling it all like a champ. I'm the one having a hard time.
She calls these "Anna braids"
Finding her in another random spot. She loves to be on my lap but not cuddled and held. She just wants to talk and be wiggly and play. She'll hang out with me forever just sitting and talking.
She tries to eat like this during dinner too but gets in trouble.

Whenever I get after her or say no "Don't get mad at me. You're my friend."

"I hurt my chin. Candy will make me feel better."

"I have these right here. They're called my eyeballs" (eyebrows)

One day she was being especially goofy.
M: Erica, where did you come from?
E: From my nest.

"Will you put on a song so I can be a dancing baby?"

(Coming in from the garden picking tomatoes)
Henry: Mom, I got four slivers in a row! (points to 4 red spots on his palm)
Erica not understanding what Henry said but not wanting to be left out: Mom! I got pink slippers in a row!

Just in the last day or so she's been experimenting with fake crying and making up things to be sad about. I don't think she's trying to be manipulative (yet) but I don't know what it is she's trying to figure out.

Thursday she got to sit in the truck while we connected it to the trailer. She thought this meant she was going hunting with dad.

This conversation went on for a long time.
I finally convinced her to stay but she's brought it up repeatedly even after he left.

She'll put her hand on my stomach and declare "The baby kicked me. He wants to come out and play with me."

We'll see how she handles not being the baby anymore. I think she'll like it and the baby will be very entertained.

1 comment:

Megan Goodrich said...

It must be a third child thing...Brynn is our most random, goofiest kid. Her relationship with Henry reminds me a lot of Stockton and Brynn as well. She is a cutie! Good luck in the next few weeks-hope that baby stays in as long as you need him to!