Monday, February 27, 2017

The Art of Homemaking: Dinnertime

Notice the title isn't "I'm a good cook." I'm not and my cooking skills aren't what this post is about. I'm not really bragging here, just dumping all my thoughts about dinner making.

We eat dinner as a family every night with very rare exceptions. Sometimes Justin works late and we don't wait for him. Sometimes it's cheese sandwiches or crepes but we still eat together. Why? Here are a few reasons.

- Justin and I were both raised this way so doing it any other way would be weird.
- My kids and husband are important so I'm willing to spend the time and effort.
- I like to eat.
- It's cheaper than eating out.
- It's healthier than eating out.
- Dinnertime teaches my kids to help out, sit still, and reinforces the fact that we are family unit.

If you'll notice "I like to cook" is not on my list. I don't really like to cook. I might if I only cooked when I wanted to and not every single day. Sometimes I really don't want to cook and going into the kitchen is downright painful. Luckily Justin likes to cook and he handles most of the cooking on the weekends and will even whip up some French toast if I've had a bad day during the week.

But for the most part, I'm there, chopping, stirring, mixing, baking, sauteeing, grating, opening cans. My biggest Pinterest board is my Dinner one. I am always looking for new recipes because even though I've been married for 10 years, I still feel like I'm still building my repertoire of recipes and cooking skills. I like recipes with few and simple ingredients. If I started a cooking blog, it would be called, "The Lazy Chef" or "Cooking Shortcuts with Di."

Ever had dinner with 3 little kids and a baby? It's not all pleasant conversation and good table manners. We've had to institute dinnertime rules.

Notice how "Stay in your chair" and "Sit up in your chair" are two separate rules. I had to get specific there.

I have to plan my meals a week in advance because I do not do well on the fly. It's like I have to mentally prepare all day to make taco soup.

We recently watched the documentary Cooked by Michael Pollan. He made me feel like what I am doing is important. We are teaching our children that nature feeds us, not restaurants or corporations. Our history and values and culture are passed down through our home cooked meals. Making dinner is noble. Thanks Michael Pollan for keeping me motivated! And thanks to my Mom for setting such a great example.

2 comments:

Megan Goodrich said...

I enjoy cooking dinner when I have a plan but I do admit that sometimes the thought of cooking dinner every single day for the rest of my life is daunting and overwhelming! I also do Saturday as "leftover night" to clean out my fridge before starting fresh on Sunday! If no leftovers are left (we eat them for lunches too) then we will have pancakes or something quick, simple, and cheap. We also try to avoid eating out! Great tips-keep 'em coming!

Jenny Evans said...

We are the same way! I don't feel like I'm a chef so much as a prison cafeteria lady, but I think it's important to all eat together. For a while we really struggled with table manners so we made "manners bingo" sheets for everybody. We'd play different ways during meals. Sometimes it was marking a square every time you used that good manner; other times everyone would secretly choose someone to watch at the beginning of the meal and mark down every time that person used good manners (at the end of the meal they liked revealing who they'd picked.)