Since summer and it's relentless heat are my nemesis, I've tried to adapt our schedule so that we do things before the earth is an inferno each day. Instead of lunch at the park we do breakfast at the park. "Get in the car. I don't care if you wear your pajamas but you do have to wear shoes. Hurry! It's almost 80 degrees already!" Bags of cereal, milk in a thermos, paper bowls and spoons.
My kids are going to look back and think I was such an inventive and creative mom or that I was paranoid and eccentric. About 5 minutes after I took this picture Henry got stung by a wasp and we had to book it home. I get points for trying.Since there are no houses I want to buy and builders are building houses I don't want to build, I drew up my own dreamhouse. I used to make life-size floorplans of houses out of leaves on our lawn as a kid so I'm practically an architect anyway. Justin has been helping me draw it in Autocad and if we are ever able to build this for real, I'm framing this not-to-scale brainstorming drawing and hanging it in the office.
July 15 was National Ice Cream day so we made waffle cones. My kids had never seen my waffle cone iron which I feel really bad about.
Beyond the traditional cone, we wrap the waffles over bowls, plates, and handles.This mega taco shell was made by wrapping the rolling pin.
Erica wanted a mini cone.
Then we filled them with various flavors of ice cream. This may be my new favorite holiday.
Sarah chose one of the big taco shells.
It immediately broke in half but tasted delicious anyway.
Justin too chose the mega taco shell and filled is up with a quart of ice cream.
He's a pro at any type of taco
I decided that I should probably learn how to Dutch braid so I watched 4 youtube tutorials before I tried it out on Sarah. Not bad for my second try, eh?
Sarah started watching other hair tutorials and chose this one for me to do on her hair. So pretty and so easy. (Sorry I don't have the link to the actual tutorial--Sarah watched it and explained to me how to do it so I didn't actually watch the video myself but it is this lady.)
Jaida and Lexie visited us yesterday. They moved 3 years ago to Hooper but since their grandma lives in Salem, sometimes we are able to work it out to get the kids together.
Jaida was Sarah's first friend and Lexie and Henry played together when they were the age James is now. We miss having them next door.
They made stuff with Perler beads forever, ate lunch outside and then more Perler beads until their nana came to pick them up. I hope we see them again soon.
I'm super excited for tomorrow's Pioneer Day celebration in Mapleton. I've been hearing my kids talk about how awesome the pancake breakfast and parade are and that they can't wait for the fireworks. I love when my kids grow to love what I love. Parenting win.









No comments:
Post a Comment