Friday, April 24, 2020

Flashback Friday: When I looked just like Erica

My kids have a hard time distinguishing between each other's baby pictures. My kids also have a hard time distinguishing my childhood pictures and Erica. 

Here are a few from when I was about 6 years old.

I got this outfit at King's in Logan which is gone now. You wouldn't be an 80s kid if you didn't rock a sweatsuit.
We all had that stage where we couldn't take posing for a picture seriously.
 This stuffy is Huggins from "The Hugga Bunch"--a moderately popular cartoon from 1985. And by "moderately popular" I mean my grandma had the videotape and no one besides my cousins and siblings had ever heard of it. But they made toys so we weren't the only ones. I even still have this doll.
 Here's the video for you! I had a good segment of the show memorized and would recite it on command. And even not on command and just annoyed people.
I don't remember loving to bake or even wanting to that much when I was a kid so this isn't one of those "I've been baking all my life" photos. I'm pretty sure whichever sister took this picture also made me put all this one and pose next to the mixer.  This mixer was a bit broken and had to be held down while it was stirring or it would just lift up. My mom would often call someone over to hold it down while she did other things. I remember leaning over it and peering into the bowl. But what's really funny is that even we got a new mixer that locked, I still mixed while holding it down. And I still find myself doing it in my own kitchen. And I sometimes see my kids do it while they help me out.
 This doll is a Magic Nursery Baby. I got it for Christmas. You had to dissolve an envelope in water and inside it would reveal if your doll was a girl or a boy. I got the jackpot when my certificate revealed that it was twins and mailed away for the second (free!) doll. I named them Christopher and Christena. I think I still have the girl.
 No memories with this photo but I am noticing how good the finish on the edge of the table looks. My parents still have this table and the finish is pretty bare. The top is Formica and I really appreciate that as a table surface now that I have 4 kids that ruin everything. My mom didn't stress about what we did on her table (cookie cutters, playdough, etc). I wonder if they make Formica tables nowadays....
 Here's a good example of my curled bangs. Erica laughed when I told her my mom would curl my bangs and I think she was imagining vertical ringlets. Did we always keep the peanut butter next to the cough syrup?
 I remember those yellow cups, the Raiders glass, and the brown bowls. Makes me want to take pictures of inside my cabinets for my kids to geek over later. I would love to see inside all of these.
 I'm pretty sure my mom made this shirt.
Here's a few pictures of my mini me, just for comparison.


I think I'm going to curl her bangs. Just for fun.

1 comment:

Jenny Evans said...

Aww! You two do look so similar. Our youngest looks exactly like my husband when he was little. I've been told that I look like my other son in a wig, but that's less flattering.