Friday, October 30, 2020

Flashback Friday: Halloween

 I have very few pictures of Halloween. I'm not sure why. I've included the few pictures that I do have plus some others of me dressing up on random days.

I was a ballerina for Halloween a few years in a row. I borrowed a tutu from the neighbors, wore some random leotard we happened to have, my mom put my hair in a bun and I was good to go. When I was in first grade my mom bought a generic cheerleader costume and I wore that for the next couple of years until I outgrew it. I was also a witch one year, and a clown I think. 

We had this big box of Halloween costumes and I can still remember the smell of it--cheap plastic, nylon, polyester. We would pull everything out, try stuff on and laugh and then leave it a big mess in the family room. Now I can't remember if I actually was a clown or just played in the costume.

River Heights Elementary had a big Halloween carnival in the evening. I don't remember much besides the haunted house in the basement library scaring me so bad. Mapleton Elementary also had a fall carnival but I don't think it was for Halloween. I remember eating nachos and Crystal Pepsi. We never got to wear our costumes to school at Mapleton Elementary. They always scheduled school picture day on Halloween. 

We had a great neighborhood for trick-or-treating in River Heights, lots of kids, lots of houses close together. Once we moved to Mapleton, not so much. It was spread out and houses were far from the road. We only went trick-or-treating in our neighborhood that first year. After that we went to my grandma's neighborhood in Springville every year. In fact, it was super weird when I went to middle school and found out that kids in my school lived near my grandma. Worlds colliding! I went trick or treating until 7th grade then it was all about dressing up and hanging out at friends' houses.

Here are some photos. Some are from Halloween, some are just me dressing up on a Tuesday.






I don't think I've dressed up for Halloween since I've been married. Sad or normal?

No comments: