Thursday, December 10, 2020

Are you feeling it?

I had a hard time getting into Christmas this year. Time just feels off. I was ready for something like Christmas back in August but after Thanksgiving I just was not ready to dive in. It just didn't seem like it should be Christmastime just yet. As I was stringing lights on our tree on November 30, I imagined someone coming by and asking why I was putting my tree up already. I don't know, I'd reply. It all seems weird. I'm not ready for this, I'm not in the mood. 

But James, on the other hand....


That evening we decorated the tree and put up our countdowns and little village and stockings but there were a lot of decorations we didn't put up because I just couldn't handle so much.   

These button trees we made are a new addition. These Christmas sweater is one of my favorites. I made my kids take my decorations downstairs to their tree and kept all the homemade ones upstairs because they make me happier.

And the 40 year old Pooh Bear. He can stay.






After a 6 year absence (according to her) Sarah put the star on the tree.
Erica has had a loose tooth for awhile now but I told her to leave it alone. She was excited but I was not. Baby teeth are just so cute.

After a couple of tearful meals with her loose tooth getting in the way, she got serious about pulling it out. Except she wouldn't. I have no qualms whatsoever pulling out my kids' teeth. Heck, I think I've pulled out all of Sarah's except for the few that have fallen out during lunch at school or during YW (She hates to lose teeth so she waits until they literally fall out themselves.) I asked Erica several times Saturday if she wanted me to pull it out. "I'm quick," I tell her. "Count to three and I'll have it out and it won't hurt anymore." She tearfully declined my offer and went out to play. Then she came back a few minutes later proud of herself, tooth in hand. It kinda, sorta got knocked out while she was playing outside with friends. 
She was happy as can be. She put her tooth in a baggie to take to school but then lost the bag later that day. It's been nearly a week and we still haven't found it. Justin handed her a dollar out of his wallet because the Tooth Fairy doesn't come to our house. When Sarah lost her first tooth the thought of the Tooth Fairy terrified her so we had to put the kibosh on that tradition before it even started.

Speaking of traditions, we watched the Christmas devotional on Sunday night. I made red and green jello popcorn and the kids mostly listened. 
We laughed at Erica choosing her favorite choir singers. "The ladies with the blondest hair are my favorite.)
In non-Christmas news, Sarah has a mild case of scoliosis. It's not bad enough to require a brace (yet) so she is just to stay active and she'll get x-rayed again in 6 months. I think x-rays are the coolest.
Yesterday Erica brought home this "Christmas tree" she made in art class at school.  Even Erica can tell this is lame. Sarah threw hers away at school and Henry is making his today. Erica still hung it up on the tree and it makes me laugh.
Another day, another good-bye. We had Sarah's good friend from our ward over yesterday. She is moving to Massachusetts next week. She has been her really good friend for the past few years and her swimming buddy. I can't believe how many friends my kids have said good-bye to. Way more than I ever did.
Our ward party was an art show. We asked ward members, especially children, to submit art for the theme "How I Hear Him". I can't believe how creative and talented people in our ward are. It was a great activity and probably the only way we could have celebrated during a pandemic.
These are real eggs. I can't imagine painting such intricate designs and not crushing the shell.
"When Jesus was Baptized" by James
"The Sacrament Prayers" typed up by Henry
"When I Share with Others I think of Jesus" by Erica
And Sarah typed up her favorite scripture as well.
What's nice about the sun coming up so late is that I am actually up some mornings to catch the sunrise. I took this photo outside my bedroom window with my zoom lens. In a few more days I will lose my view of the mountain to the houses being framed right now. Then we should move because I will be sad.
Henry's orthodontist asked me today if I'm ready for Christmas. I honestly replied that I was. I've got all the major shopping done. We are in the "watch movies and make candy" phase of Christmas. I like this part.

No comments: