Sunday, April 18, 2021

The Befores

We close on our new (to us) house on April 30. It needs a lot of work. Fortunately the work is mostly cosmetic but it is the entire house. All the floors, walls, trim, and lights need to be replaced. Even the outlets and light switches are 80s tan. The bathrooms are gross and ugly too so some things will need to be replaced and others will get a good cleaning to avoid needing replacement. Here are the before pictures and some ideas of our plans.

Here's the house! There are three large trees which I love and will shade the house in the afternoons. The windows will be replaced someday (they are all 33 years old in various states of disrepair). The front door needs repainting but I don't know what color yet. 

The front room. The main level has 12 foot ceilings throughout.



There are two sets of stairs that converge in the center of the main level. One set goes to the master bedroom and bathroom, the other to the split level--3 bedrooms and bathroom above, and a family room, one bedroom and bathroom below.
One thing I don't like is how much the stairs stand out and how chopped up the room feels with two floorings: dark carpet and tile. The entire floor will be a nice neutral wood. I'm liking this look, especially the non-carpeted stairs.
We call this railing above the dining room "the balcony." See what I mean about railings everywhere? I want them to blend in with the walls more.


To the kitchen. I love how big the windows are on this level but not digging the half circle ones.
We are super excited for a gas stove. The dishwasher and fridge are the nicest things in house and the only thing that doesn't need work.

To paint or not to paint this light?


And here's the plan: The flooring will be LVP but a warmer wood tone than this picture but the cabinet colors are spot on. The backsplash is my favorite.

 I don't have a great picture of the master bedroom. It is huge and full of mauve carpet.

I'm digging this panel moulding look but undecided on the headboard and wall color.
Oh the bathroom. I'm so excited to take a sledgehammer to this. 

We'll put in a double sink vanity, tear out the tub and shower and put in something a little like this.


And onto the other side of the house.


These bedrooms will get new carpet and paint.

The bathroom. I'm very excited for this linen closet. We don't have one at our current house.

This bathroom will get new flooring as well. We are still deciding if we replace the entire vanity or just paint it and put on a new counter. You can see how damaged it is.

Downstairs. Family room will get the same white paint and carpet as the bedrooms.

The bedroom.
Storage area that will turn into our games storage by adding more shelves.
And my least favorite room, the downstairs bathroom. I am bound and determined to make this room one to be proud of instead of grossed out.
I've never had grout before. Wish me luck on cleaning and repairing this.
We can't end on that photo so we'll head outside to remind myself why we are so excited for this house. The backyard is just so awesome. It is big and square and aside from the several fruit trees it is a blank slate. I'm looking forward to having the house redone because it's going to be quite the dramatic transformation but that will also mean we can focus on the outside next year.
Demo day is May 1!

1 comment:

Megan Goodrich said...

How exciting! Can't wait to see what you do with it!