Wednesday, August 31, 2022

All things August

Pretty much the last vestiges of the previous owners was behind the garden shed. This entire corner was filled with matted moldy grass that the kids threw away last summer before we moved in and underneath all of the stinky soggy grass clippings was a pile of scrap wood, more grass clippings, tree branches, lumber and who knows what else. Underneath all of that was more lawn and garden area.

It was time to tackle it. Justin pulled out a large pallet and on that stacked any tree limbs that could be used in our fire pit then we raked out more debris and junk. We found a smashed broken up blue kiddie pool and a trampoline frame and a family of bumblebees. Corey helped Justin cut the logs into usable size and the kids and I helped rake and toss all the junk. It took two garbage cycles to get it all outta here.
But look at it now. We have a good 4 more feet of garden space for next year. More pumpkins?


The yard is coming together nicely.

Check out this double rainbow Erica spotted from Corey and Nadine's backyard.

Last week was the memorial for my uncle John who passed away. My siblings and I and my parents and my niece Jaana met at the Moroni cemetery. My cousin Johnny gave some remarks and then my cousin David. After that, my dad. I didn't know John well so it was nice to hear about his life from his sons.
(That's my aunt Ilona Whittle's headstone.)
My uncle John on a fishing trip in Alaska. He loved hunting and fishing.

Then we went to my aunt Arlene's house for lunch. Moroni food is the best food. I'm not exaggerating. 
These are my cousins. I now now who is who. David, Michael, Scott, Johnny. But I still don't know who's older, Johnny or Scott. We visited in the backyard for several hours. It was fun to meet their families and hear more stories about Moroni and their dad and my dad and Ilona.
The next day James started school (just so we keep things in context). That Friday was my treat night and I made homemade marshmallows for the first time. Look how these roasted up.
They toast and melt quicker than store bought marshmallows and they are gooey!
All good things.
They were a little tricky to make but it's all the techniques I like--candy thermometer, mixing forever, gooey stuff.
My s'more kindred spirit was also a fan.
My kids got a new cousin! Rocky Braden Dye was born on Friday night. He's #8 and balances the Dye cousins 4 boys, 4 girls.
Saturday was Justin's work party at Provo Beach. I had never been there but Sarah and Henry had been with friends.


We bowled, climbed, carouseled, laser tagged, arcaded, and ate.


After nearly 5 hours I was ready to go! I'm going to sound really old but it was so unnecessarily loud in  there. I don't know how all those grandparents handled it. I don't think I want to go back. There's no reason to do all those things all in one day again.

And August is a wrap! Goals for September: Plant a bunch of shrubs and maybe a couple of trees. Aerate the lawn and seed some bare spots of grass. Put up the pencil molding in my bedroom. Refrain from making all the pumpkin desserts until October. Make a delicious birthday cake. 

No comments: