Sunday, April 16, 2023

Easter and Other Signs of Spring

Hooray it's Easter! I love this holiday so much. I think because it comes at just the right time and there's candy involved. For the Saturday Easter hunt at my mom's we were a small group again this year. I think the last time we had a good-sized group it was before covid. Next year! But Jaana was in from DC so that made it extra special! We had pizza for lunch and the kids were mostly patient waiting for lunch to be over and eggs to be hidden.






Usually I just refill the eggs they brought home the previous year but last year the kids got more eggs than would fit in their bucket and it was too much candy. I filled way less and they still got a basket full.


Later Justin, my brother-in-law, and nephew carried in a gas fireplace for my dad. He's been building the base for it and now it's ready for the unit. I tease him he'll have it done just in time for summer!
Easter morning! Justin had the day off from meetings so we were able to make a delicious eggs Benedict breakfast and make some yummy baked beans for dinner and a carrot cake for dessert later at Justin's parents house. I can't think of the last time we spent Sunday morning together. Well the day he was sustained in January but our minds were so occupied we didn't really enjoy the time together. After breakfast we watched some Easter church videos with the kids and talked about why this day is the most important day in the history of ever. Justin, Sarah, and Henry had to be to church early so they left before I could get pictures taken so these are done after church (thus the harsh sunshine).




Sarah gave a talk and sang in the choir. James and Erica sang with the primary. Justin's brother Nate and his family joined us as well. It was a great sacrament meeting! After church we went to Justin's parents house for another egg hunt and dinner. The kiddos rode in the bed of the truck all the way there (it's only a half mile).
What is with Henry putting his basket on his head?

Each of the kids have their own labeled bags they are hunting for too.


For dinner we had ham and funeral potatoes, green beans, fruit salad, and baked beans. For dessert, carrot cake. So good. It's one of my favorite meals and why I love Easter so much.

Our area had our turn for the traveling tabernacle. I haven't been yet but Justin, Henry, and Sarah went for an activity when it was Provo. Now it was our turn to have it nearby in Springville and Sarah volunteered on Tuesday. My parents went that day and took these pictures.

(This was seriously the craziest day. I helped in James's class, had a hair appointment, took the middles to the orthodontist and crossed my fingers that Sarah made it to the church in back arranging rides on her own. There are days where I have literally nothing scheduled and somehow all the things got put on this day.)


Spring has definitely come to our town. I found this calf on my walk the other day.
What are these in this huge field?
Oh just some Texas longhorns.
So there are these trees outside of the Payson temple that I'm pretty much obsessed with. I've taken pictures of them all leafed out and tried to research what kind they are. Last week when I came out of the temple (it was pouring when I went in) I noticed that they were all flowery. Flowers are a good clue as to what kind of tree they are! Huzzah! A quick google image search came back with magnolia tree! Sweetbay, to be exact, after some deeper searching.
Now I just have to find one in a local nursery. Wish me luck! And then I'll have to find a place in my yard to plant it.
Summer 2022 (I love the white bark and multi-stem trunk)

On Friday the girls had their piano recital. The theme for the recital was duets. Each of the students picked a duet and a duet partner. Most kids picked their moms or piano teacher to play with them. One kid played with his sister on the harp and that was cool. My girls chose their grandmas which was really special. (I don't play and I'm glad it worked out this way.)




They all did so good! I loved listening to them practice for the last couple of months.


And if this isn't a sign of spring, I don't know what is. The kids treat the trampoline as their own imaginative playland. 

No comments: