Friday, January 5, 2024

Justin Turns 40

 Justin turned 40 on the 31st. We were lucky to have him home with us since it was a fifth Sunday and had no meetings. So that meant we got to give him presents and make him breakfast. The kids each picked out something from the store they thought he'd like. Some kids (James) picked something (sour cream and onion potato chips) they wanted to eat with him.




I got him a hydrological map of Utah to hang in his office at work.
Then we ate biscuits and gravy for breakfast.

Justin likes his birthday but he doesn't really like everyone to know it's his birthday. He doesn't want attention, just good food and play games. So Sarah and I sneaked into the church the day before to subtly decorate his bishop's office door. It's the only time he'll have a Sunday birthday as bishop so why not. He was mildly amused but the kids loved it. I also arranged with the music director to sing his favorite hymn in sacrament meeting. I don't know if he noticed that, now that I think about it.

During the second hour we met with all the youth and he made asked me to take a few minutes and talk to the youth which I did but only after making it very clear I only agreed to since it was his birthday. So then everyone in that room knew. He got off easy really. I was considering making him hand out cookies to the whole ward as they left the building.

That night we had all the family that wanted to over for dinner. The theme: Tacos. Justin's favorite food. His parents gave him a charcoal grill so that's where the magic happened.
We had chicken, pork, steak and elk with all the fixings.
Some of the crowd. I think we had 35 people total.

Forty cupcakes for 40 years! (Flan for him, cupcakes for non flan lovers). Then we played games and hung out until midnight. We saved the cleanup for the morning.
Henry wants to wish everyone a happy new year.

No comments: