Sunday, August 23, 2026

Back to School 2026

It's that time of year again. Of mixed feelings of sadness, anxiety, excitement, and relief. And that's just me. 

Sarah started her senior year! She has a very light schedule this semester with only a couple of "real" classes. 


Henry is in 10th grade and at the high school this year. He's taking his first concurrent enrollment class (chemistry).


For the first time in 6 years, they are at the same school. This is the last time any of my kids will be together at a school unless they go to the same college. Sarah and Henry even have Business Law together and assigned seats next to each other.
 
Henry's just glad he's got a ride and doesn't have to take the bus.


Erica is in 7th grade and at the middle school again. Here's hoping the transition is smoother than last year. I loved 7th grade and I hope she does too. She's taking art and orchestra and is thinking of running for student council.
James started 4th grade. His teacher is Mrs. Ralphs and this is her first year teaching. She is so short; her class is going to outgrow her by the end of the year. She seems really nice and eager to make this year great. James has a lot of friends in his class so he's excited.


I bought a large pack of mechanical pencils and James decided to take ALL his share to school at once.

All reports were good when they got home. I also started a new job (more about that later) so I had a first day of school as well. We ate ice cream out of the cartons as an after-school snack and then the teens had double stake back-to-school bbq that evening so it was quiet at home.

Friday we went to Heber Valley Camp where Justin's parents are serving a mission. We got to stay over and do the activities the youth do with Justin's brothers, their kids and his aunt.

We got there in time to eat dinner and then went to the lake.
Apparently squirting fellow lake-goers is the thing to do.
Justin showing me the one spot he didn't get soaked.
That evening we went to the faith walk. James and I hadn't done it but Justin and the other kids went up for an activity earlier this summer.
James loved it. He wanted to stop at every picture, video, sign. It was so sweet. He read every handwritten note until I pointed out we were getting long left behind by the rest of the family. He is such a sweetheart.
This was my favorite response to "What would Jesus say to you if he was here?"  Don't we all want Jesus to recognize himself in us?

After a night of no sleep due to a creaky cabin and Justin's very loud air mattress (I call it the thunder bed because that's what it sounded like every time he moved), we ate breakfast and then went to our first activity of the day, rock climbing. Nana got to open the activity for us and show us how it's done.
And then my kids harnessed up and went for it. They've all done climbing walls before so they were all about it.

Then we went to the high ropes course. I did this too. I went up then directly across to the zipline and went down and that was plenty for me. This is the course that I was most afraid of doing and the only one that I did which is a little ironic but I'm proud I did it.
We even got to see the Mosses--our friend Brandon's parents and good friends of Corey and Nadine who also serve there and on this course.
 
Meanwhile my little adventurer couldn't get enough. Strange how none of my kids have a fear of heights.

Then it was time for the big swing. I took only videos of my family so no pictures to share. After that we went back to camp to eat lunch. I took a nap while most everyone else went to the axe throwing.
I tell ya what, we all liked having an entire pavilion to ourselves for the 20+ of us.
After dinner we made smores and other campfire desserts. We went home that evening so we could be home for Sunday meetings the next day but I think everyone else stayed through Sunday.
It was a great way to end the first week of school and our summer break. The kids had so much fun and Erica even asked to go back for her birthday (sorry, not open in February, sweetie). We hope we can go back next year when Corey and Nadine serve their second summer. We are also looking forward to them coming home next month for 6 months.

No comments: