Wednesday, June 10, 2009

No Shows and the Air Show


So our bishop challenged our ward to turn off the TV, stereo, and computer for an entire week just to prove how much free time we really do have and to encourage more face-to face contact with neighbors and friends. I didn't do the face-to-face stuff but I did get really bored. Here's a few things I did.
1. Made a carrot cake from scratch. Carrots go everywhere when you grate them.
2. Played solitaire with actual cards. (I'd cheat if I lost because I hated re-dealing.)
3. Spied on neighbors from my upstairs window. It's like a sniper's nest--I can see half the neighborhood from up there. My neighborhood is boring.
4. Found recipes in a cookbook, not a website.
5. Went on like 3 walks every day.
6. Finished the Conference Ensign.
7. Read a paper newspaper.
8. Dusted my bookcase and reorganized it a little bit.
9. Sat and stared at Sarah. She buzzed back.
10. Went to garage sales. I found 5 shirts for Sarah for $1 each. Keep your stimulus package Obama....we'll get by just fine, thanks.

Lesson learned: I didn't miss one TV show, especially daytime TV. But having the TV on does make the day go by faster. Not having a computer was tougher. I felt so cut-off from the world.

On to the air show. Hill Air Force Base hosts an airshow nearly every year but only every few years do the Thunderbirds come. It's always a good time but I don't know if I can handle the 1 1/2 drive plus the hour walk to the base (and then back) every year. Once every few years is good for me. Luckily, Sarah didn't get too scared by the loudness. The train behind our house doesn't phase her so I knew she could handle it. I covered her ears when it was loud and that seemed to confuse her more than the loud jet going by.

Sarah on some sort of missile. This is her anti-war protest I guess.

I don't know what kind of plane this is but you have to get your picture taken in front of a plane. It's a rule.

1 comment:

The Walker's said...

Sarah is so dang cute!! I love your post about the no TV thing....I am horrible about that! I agree though, no internet would probably be way harder than no TV!!! Hope you guys are doing well :)