Friday, March 24, 2006
Justin asked me twice earlier that day while I was at work what my plans were that night. I should have been suspicious since we were well past the point of knowing we were hanging out every spare moment, especially on a Friday night, and second, Justin planned ahead maybe 3 dates our entire courtship.
Nonetheless, I tried not to look too much into this rare moment of planning as to not get my hopes up that he would propose. Since I had known we were going to get married by like our 3rd date, like 8 months before, this was a long time coming.
I spent extra time picking out my outfit (Shannon, thanks again for letting me borrow your purple shirt) and making sure my hair was just right. He showed up at my apartment door with a bandana and a motorcycle helmet. Sigh.
We rode up Provo Canyon to Bridal Veil Falls. But instead of directly walking the path to the falls, Justin kept trying to stall me. Like by suddenly lying on the dirt and asking for his picture taken.
And then asking to take my picture while still lying down.
Then taking 10 tries to get a good shot of both of us.
Finally he seemed satisfied enough and we continued down the path. We rounded a corner and I noticed a pinata in the tree but didn't think anything of it as other people walked past it and paid no mind. As we got closer, Justin stepped ahead and grabbed a baseball bat leaning against the tree. I almost shouted for him to stop, to leave someone else's pinata alone, but when I saw the look on his face, I figured it was for me.I wish I could tell you I smashed the tar out of that thing but I don't honestly remember if it was difficult to get open or not. Wait, I do remember the bottom half came off but the head was still attached with stuff inside so I had to keep whacking.
When Justin was confident I had sufficiently dismembered the bird or whatever animal it was, we began picking up all the candy (Easter candy, my favorite) and I was worried he had put a loose diamond ring in the pinata now possibly lost in the dead grass and leaves.
I spotted a larger piece of candy but to add to the suspense and to make sure he saw me see it, I waited before picking it up. It was a ring pop with a paper attached that read "The second best I could do." (I still have it.)
I looked over at him and he was on his knee, holding an open box with a beautiful ring inside (I should mention he picked out the ring all by himself. I would only help by providing my ring size). I don't even remember how he phrased the question. I was just waiting for the pause so I could say "Yes!", hug him, and put the ring on.
| His hair is so long, mine so blond. |
A kindly passerby took this picture for us. I remember a few people asking, as we were cleaning up, if he had proposed or something.
We went to dinner afterwards (Ottavios was it? Sheesh, the things you swear you'll never forget). I remember wanting to wait until the morning to break the news to the world. I liked that the two of us were the only ones to share the news. Well besides his friend and family that helped him out. 2 months and 2 days later, we were hitched. (I just realized I don't have this story written down anywhere so thank you blogger.)
Justin is far, far away from me right now and I miss him like crazy. We should hang out Justin, when you get back. Love Di.
7 comments:
Whoa - I remember that day... I can't believe that time has flown as fast as it has.. Happy Proposal Anniversary guys.
Awww...I've never heard that story before. So sweet! And has it really been five years already? Wow!
That was Meredith, not Clinton. Stupid Google accounts.
That is so fun! You guys are such a cute couple and have such a cute daughter and I can't wait to meet your son, who will be destined to be cute too :)
What a sweet story. Yay for getting engaged slash married!
Oh - I never knew this story - so cute. Hooray for families!
Adorable! I love proposal stories! I was just thinking back today trying to remember something from high school and I couldn't. It was bugging me so bad! No wonder we have to keep journals... you think you'll remember every single detail because it was so important to you at the time and....... you don't. ug!
Post a Comment