Friday, June 19, 2015

4 Completely Unrelated Things

My blow dryer died last week. I've had this blow dryer for half my life. It has been there for every day of my young adult life. My first job, my first date, every first day of school, my wedding day and honeymoon, at the hospital when I had my babies, BAM--blue-green Revlon 1875 watt hair dryer, right there. Clothes, shoes, jewelry, brushes, and makeup have come and gone but this hairdryer has been the one constant in my suitcase and in my morning routine for 16 years. It has been to the Caribbean, Alaska, and Canada and three universities. It has seen me grow from nerdy teen to awkward mother. And then Erica pushed the reset button one too many times while I was using it and it turned off for good.
So then I had to do what I hadn't done since the Clinton administration and that was buy a new hairdryer. And of course this new one feels foreign and heavy and sounds all wrong and the buttons are in the wrong spot. But it gets my hair dry. I wonder if I'll have this new one for 16 more years, until I'm 47 (yikes!).

One thing that my kids didn't know about me is that I can make some pretty funny faces. And by funny I mean ugly. We had a little competition the other day which also gave me the opportunity to teach them a few things.

Round 1

Classic sticking tongue out. Good start.
 Love the spit bubbles.
I bust out "the ugly crier"

Round 2

Sucker fish
 Squinty wink-eye
The droopy clown.

Round 3

Henry is sticking with the tongue out thing.

Sarah picked up on using her hands to smash her face. Nice.
 And I win again. Only because I can do this with my eyes. 


I love how Henry eats his boiled egg right out of the slicer. I did the same thing as a kid.
How can you tell if a baby can reach the table? There are fingerprints in the butter.
 How can you tell if this same baby can get the lid off the flour container?
She has flour in her eyelashes.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Woah! Your eyes. Should. Not. Do. That!