I had to get used to going to taco shops where I was the only person that didn't speak Spanish. I had to get used to ruining my hair with a motorcycle helmet. I got a glimpse of his football and hunting obsession although a new girlfriend/full semester/full-time job kept it under wraps.
One evening in August we took a motorcycle ride up to Bridal Veil Falls and then onto Sundance. I remember holding his hand, talking, and having the thought, "I am going to marry him." The thought didn't scare me. The fact that it didn't alarm me was strange. It didn't make me giddy either. I don't know if I'd call it a decision, more of a realization. And at this point, I wasn't even in love with him.
I met his mother's entire family that September. It was at his grandpa's 80th birthday party. I smiled and made small talk with a lot of aunts. I didn't know anyone had as many aunts as me. And then when I met his grandpa, he pulled me close and said, "What are you with this boy for?" in a way only grandpas can. Justin and I smiled at each other. Man, was I gone.
I just wanted to be with him all the time. This long-haired boy with completely different interests than me. I would rather go to a museum, dress in DI clothes and go bowling, or bake cookies and watch Friends and here was this shaggy-haired, motorcycle riding, wakeboarder that captivated me. The only thing we had in common was how much we simply liked being with each other. And peanut butter cookies. And card games.
He thought I was funny, I thought he was fun.
| This was the first picture of Justin my mom ever saw. I emailed it to her in Alaska. What she must have thought! |

No comments:
Post a Comment