Thursday, April 28, 2016

Proof that my kids don't always drive me crazy

Last week I went on a fieldtrip with Henry's class to the Museum of Natural Curiosity at Thanksgiving Point. We had never been there before so I wanted to see if it was the worth $60 to take my whole family.

I don't go places with just Henry very often. It was fun to see him interact with his classmates and be a good listener for his teachers. It's nice to know he has it in him to be attentive.

Here are some things we saw.

This plain reminds me of Indian Jones.
When your 4-year-old wants to go over a series of net bridges 2 stories up, you follow. *Sidenote: It took all my upper-body strength to pull myself up to the platforms. I was so sore.
 I don't remember what this wheel thing did.
 We spent a lot of time in this room.
We had these star thingies when I was a kid except they were a little smaller. I had to make a crown just like I used to.
He did this like seven times.

And now for some funny things my kids say.

Henry: If I grew out my hair I could look like a girl.
Sarah: I know a way we could tell you were still a boy.
Henry: How?
Sarah: By how dirty you get!

Henry and Erica were playing a very dramatic game with their stuffed animals one morning. Henry went to preschool, Erica and I went to the fabric store. A kind employee asked Erica how she was doing and Erica replied solemnly, "Dumbo got shot."

Henry often hits Erica and lies about it. Erica will often lie about Henry hitting. It makes doling out sympathy and punishment very complicated as I can't trust either of them to tell the truth. One day Erica came to me and said, "Bickey (her name for Henry) hit me!" and I knew for a certainty he didn't. When she didn't get the response she wanted she tried "Bickey hit you" and when that didn't work she tried "Bickey hit Dad."
My kids love to ask about the calendar on the wall during dinner and ask me to tell them "what's on the 15th?" "What does it say on that day" and it drives me crazy. It's mostly boring stuff like who I am going to visit and doctor appointments. But one evening Henry got us all laughing when he first asked, "Where's the 'wunf'?' meaning the first and "Where's 'toof"?" meaning the second.

You should play "I Spy" with Erica. It goes something like this:

E: You wanna play I Spy?
Me: Sure.
E: I spy with  my little eye something that is green.
Me: The grass?
E: Nope.
Me: The trees?
E: Nope.
Me: Your eyes?
E: Nope.
Me: Your shorts?
E: Nope.
Me: Your popsicle?
E: Yup! You picked it! (her popsicle was yellow)
Me; Okay, my turn. I spy with my little eye something that is red.
E: Nope. My turn.

1 comment:

Megan Goodrich said...

So...was the museum worth the sixty bucks? You left me hangin' there.