Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Summer So Far

Eight years ago, I swore I'd never be pregnant during the summer again. But alas, here I am trying to stay cool in 100 degree weather when I'm already 10 degrees warmer than everyone else. Trying to find clothes that cover me when layers are the enemy. Trying to stay indoors when my kids want to be anywhere but.

I am eating copious amounts of pineapple slush and not feeling bad about it. And no fries are too salty, no slice of watermelon too big.

I made this thingy that I have dubbed the table tunnel.  
I sewed the ends of an old queen flat sheet (triple stitched actually) then slid it onto the table legs then over the table top.
The result is an irresistible tube for minutes of fun.
 This is Henry and our neighbor Wayne. The best part of it is that the kids are more than happy to clean off the table to put it on.
Also keeping them occupied indoors is this huge play kitchen a family in our ward gave us when they moved last week. I put their old play kitchen on the curb with a free sign on it when we needed the room to finish the basement. I think they have finally forgiven me.

Fathers Day 2016!! Justin got two ties (each kid got to pick out one tie, one for my dad, 2 for Justin) He also got some new dress shirts and some parts to repair the grill and his very own 2-liter bottle of Dr. Pepper. I forgot to take the traditional picture until after dinner so here they all are no longer in their Sunday best. 
I am so happy my kids have him for a dad. His spontaniety balances out my lack thereof, he wrestles with them when I'd rather just read them books quietly, he wants to involve him in his daily tasks while I do mine when I can do them on my own. Plus he does stuff like this with them.
As a thank you, I made him some peanut butter cream cheese brownies. They are of my own creation and they were really good even if I did underbake them.
This is the kids' summer job chart. I don't know about your kids but mine would stay in their pajamas and watch TV all morning until their friends knocked on the door then they'd run outside to play only coming in for popsicles and jam sandwiches.  So to create some semblance of schedule (but really just to get them dressed and doing something productive for a few minutes) I created this chart.
 In the morning they have to eat breakfast, brush their teeth and wash their face, get dressed, make their beds, put everything away that is theirs or they got out, and the smiley face means they have to do a sticker job. I made a list of things to give them ideas but lately I've been declaring what their sticker job that day is based on what needs to be done (basket of towels to be folded, bathroom counter and mirror to be cleaned, etc) You know it's working when you hear your kids ask things like, "Mom, what needs to be cleaned today?" Music to my ears. Sometimes Henry is resistant and complains the whole morning until he gets motivated by Dexter at the door wanting to play.
Once they complete their sticker job, they add a sticker to their chart. They have to do one job a day but they can do as many as they want. Friday I declared it 5 Job Friday where I picked five jobs for each of them to do with a bonus treat. (The house was really messy) When they complete a row of ten stickers, they get a small treat. Right now it's a choice of Airhead or Blowpop. When they complete 100 jobs, they'll get something cool like their choice of anything in Macey's or a kids meal at Chick-fil-a. We'll see.
And then they're free to be sprinkler jumping, grape eating, TV watching, fort making hooligans for the rest of the day. Well, until it's time to get ready for dinner.

No comments: