Wednesday, May 10, 2017

James at 6 Months

Happy half birthday baby boy!

James's new favorite talent is grabbing things. He grabs my face when he's mad, when he's sad, when he's happy. As if boohooing wasn't enough to get my attention while I'm holding him.

He's still working on my favorite milestone: picking up cereal and feeding himself. This is always a game changer in keeping a baby occupied for long periods of time and it's the skill I push the most. (Crawling? meh.)

He can kind of sit up if he's propped up pretty well. This is my second favorite skill since it promotes keeping oneself entertained. After awhile he kind of gets all slumpy and won't hold himself up at all so we try again another day.

He watches me like a hawk and gets nervous if I step out of the room or even behind his closet door to get more diapers. He always wants to know what I'm doing and where I'm going and when I'll be back.

Likes: outside, falling asleep in his car seat, slobbering on things, sucking on apple slices

Dislikes: pureed sweet potatoes, not being held, being alone, staying in one spot for more than 4 minutes.

He takes 3 naps per day although his third nap in late afternoon doesn't really count. Either he sleeps for only 20 minutes or he snoozes while I nurse him. Most days one of his naps is 2+ hours so that's nice.

He sleeps pretty good most nights. We've had a great stretch of him being asleep by 9:00 and sleeping until 6:30 or 7. I'm working on cutting down his bedtime routine from 2 hours (nurse-fall asleep for 10 min-wake up for 20 minutes-nurse-fuss-nurse-sleep). This week I began being mean and nurse him for 40 min or so until I know he's full and drowsy and then lay him down. He fusses for a bit but winds down in a half hour or so.  I did it his way, whatever he wanted for 6 months (2 hours!).  Now he can just go to sleep like a normal baby.

He's kind of an ornery kid. And I mean that with all the love in my heart. I think I got a little spoiled with Henry and Erica; they were much more easy going and didn't need to be held all the time. He's 2nd orneriest child (no baby in the history of babies could beat Sarah on difficulty), 3rd best sleeper, 1st with strangers, and tied for 1st on cuteness with all the others.

I mean, c'mon. Look at those eyes!


We marked the occasion by finally getting out the highchair. I got it out at 4 months with my other kids but I wasn't in a hurry to take up so much space in my kitchen.
Any baby with two older sisters has it pretty good.

It didn't take him long to figure out how to rest his toes under the tray. Dye baby trademark.

1 comment:

Megan Goodrich said...

6 months!? Crazy! He is very cute and sitting up is the best milestone in my opinion. I don't enjoy introducing foods because do you really need one more thing to fit into your schedule? Good thing you have some good helpers. ;)