Monday, September 25, 2017

While Dad's Away......

Hunting season started early and intense this year. Justin finally drew his bull elk tag and he just got home last night from the hunt. He's been putting in for this hunt for 17 years. That's half his life. He was gone for a long time. Here's what we did while he was away.

I was throwing away stuff out of cleaning Henry's room while he was at school and I found this homemade coloring book. See how he spelled his middle name?
I have a sign on my bathroom door that says "Do not talk to mom when she's in the shower" because I can't understand anything they say through the door when the water is running but mostly because I just want to be left alone for a few minutes, sheesh. Anyway, Sarah is really good about not disturbing me but sometimes she leaves me notes about what went on when I was indisposed:
(I don't think anything in the house sums up both daughters' personalities as much as this note.)

Toilet paper was on sale at Costco and I bought it even though I was already stocked up. I ran out of places to put 45 rolls.
One of the Saturdays the Spanish Fork airport was having a car/plane/train show and the kids had free passes from school so I went to a public event with all my kids without Justin.
Plane:
Train:
Automobile:

"Sarah, go stand by that Aston Martin, that's the kind of car James Bond drives." "Who's James Bond?" But she did it anyway because she's awesome.
I don't know what kind of car this is but Henry liked it.
Check out the clouds rolling down the canyon.
 
Street racing on the runway was to start right about then but it didn't. We waited 30 extra minutes but it still wasn't even close to starting and James was going nuts being tired and not being able to crawl anywhere so I bribed the kids with doughnuts to leave. Without an event to watch, it only took like 30 minutes to see all the displays and ride the train. If it would have cost us anything, I would have been upset that there wasn't a whole lot to do and the event was so delayed. But a nice old man gave me more free passes going in so we all got in for free.

James loves the trampoline thus I love the trampoline.
Since Justin was gone I needed a project. I've been on a quest to find the most perfect homemade ice cream recipe. (I'm close so I'll post my findings when I'm sure.) While I was testing yet another recipe one day, Erica decided to do her own quest of "which sprinkles are the best."
This was her highly scientific tasting method. "I think I need to try the red crunchies again." She picked the multi-colored ones as the best because they had pink sprinkles.
James is impossible to contain in the seat of the cart unless he's buckled in. I discovered this half-way through a Walmart shopping trip when he was hanging half out of the cart. Unfortunately the cart I picked had a broken buckle so the safest place (in the most relative sense) was in the basket. He promptly stood up and began swatting his arm and yelling.
Erica seized the opportunity to reclaim the seat.
Since Justin was gone for so long, I didn't want him to miss out on anything, especially James's regular whining so I sent him pictures like this.
Here's the boy we know and love.
Erica threw up in her bed one night, all over herself and her blanket. I, being in a sleepy stupor, made a bigger mess of things while getting her out of her puke covered nightgown. It took me a full hour to bathe her, clean up the trail of puke I made, put everything in the washer, clean up a second round, and make her a new bed on my floor. 

She fell asleep the next day right in the middle of watching a show. I was busy with the baby and the show kept playing and I didn't even notice she was zonked out for maybe 30 minutes. She slept on the couch until the kids came home from school.
(And let the record show I cleaned up 2 more barfing incidents and 2 pee accidents and a diaper blow-out from various other children while he was gone .)

The best part about Justin being gone (parking in the middle of the garage and sleeping in the center of the bed are the only other good things) is that I don't have to make real dinner. We had sandwiches and breakfast stuff so much Erica even asked when we were going to have dinner food for dinner again. Ha! Henry loves chicken pot pie but Justin does not so I made it while he was gone. 

I don't know why he doesn't like it. It looks awesome.
Lastly the kids had their dental check ups on Friday. It was Erica's first exam. She was not feeling well that day and wasn't in the mood to cooperate but the hygienist sweet-talked her into getting her teeth cleaned. 

Teddy on her tummy and a princess in each hand helped. And Dr. Shaw is super sweet. She asked all the right questions about princesses to distract Erica. And yay no cavities for any of the kids!
This little forest creature has taken up residency in our backyard. It digs holes and tunnels in our hillside and perches on our porch. It has a long bushy tail. Is it a squirrel? It's probably the closest thing we'll have to a pet.
Justin got home last night with his elk. He says he waited until the last day in the worst weather conditions, in the most remote location to get his elk on purpose. :) I'm just glad he's home and that it will take 17 years to draw another bull elk tag. And I pray the elk quarters hanging in my garage is a temporary arrangement.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ok not to be weird but you took all these pics with your new phone huh. Convenient right? and not crappy looking!