Saturday, January 5, 2019

Justin turns 35 and we begin a new year

Justin turned 35 on December 31. I always feel the need to state his age since it means he is now the same as me again. He sure likes to live up being a younger man these past 14 weeks. We started out the morning with a deluxe breakfast that I actually made this year--cheese blintzes. Basically make a crepe, put a delicious ricotta/cream cheese filling inside, roll them up like a chimichanga and fry them in a little butter. Mmm boy.

Then he and his brother and Sarah went shooting for like 5 hours. When we they came home, we took the kids to my parents' house and met Justin's parents at a Korean bbq restaurant in Springville.

We had a seen an episode of Worth It (super fun show, btw) all about Korean bbq and wanted to try it since. I asked my Korean neighbor about it and she suggested E-Ga in Springville. It's all you can eat and includes 11 kinds of meat! Cooking 11 kinds of meat right at your table sounds like the best birthday gift I could give Justin.
Dinner and a show! The cooking kept the men so busy we barely spoke of anything other than what we were doing and eating.
I like this guy. I got tired of using chopsticks. I started stabbing food with them.
After dinner, we picked up the kids and came home for presents and dessert.
Papa and James in their twinner coats.
Justin got a new lighter for the grill (and birthday candles).
Some new wool socks.
And a lap tray because his laptop overheats easily so maybe this will help???
This is where things kind of start to blend with New Year's celebrations.
The girls got party crowns and Henry had a fancy top hat but he wouldn't wear it for a picture.
Justin wanted ice cream for dessert so I made homemade Oreo and peach ice cream (two kinds, not together) in waffle cones.
I think it's the first time I've ever done just ice cream for a birthday. I liked it.
While I put James to be, we let the kids stay up late for one game of Blockus then we put the middles to bed and Sarah got to stay even later for a game of Ticket to Ride.
Here are some cute cards the kids made for Justin.

The word bubbles on this one crack me up.
New Year's day we went to Justin's parents to play games then I spent the afternoon getting the house and my mind ready for back to school and back to normal. That meant lots of laundry, homework finding and an early bedtime for all. It was a great break and I loved having Justin home for all of it.

Tuesday night we had our first FHE of the year, Come Follow Me style. We plan on having our Monday FHE lesson introduce the week's reading with an activity and week's challenge, discuss the challenge each day at dinner then Sunday during James's nap have a primary-style lesson. Family Home Sunday seems to be the title of choice. (Runners-up were Family Church, Home Church, Home Primary, Sunday Home School and Scripture Study) This is when we we are in the scriptures more and they share what they learned about it in primary that day. We'll see how the plan goes.

That Saturday we took the kids to the BYU v. USU hockey game. I taught James to say "Go Aggies!" earlier in the day.
A house divided.
I forgot how much I like watching live hockey. I hadn't been to a game since I was a college student. Only having to drive to Provo and $14 for all 6 of us to go was at the commitment level I was willing to put into a sporting event.
James alternated between "Go Aggies!" and "Go cougars!" depending on who whispered in his ear.
The other 3 kids wore their BYU shirts but Henry wore his USU shirt to school the next day. I think he felt guilty.
Fun fact: Justin can't see the red letters on this scoreboard. Due to his colorblindedness, they don't contrast to the black background.
The kids did pretty well considering we stayed up past their bedtime. Popcorn and having Mason to play with on the railing helped. We left after the 2nd period because USU was up by 2 but we should have stayed because BYU won in overtime. Or maybe it was good we left.
So there you have. Happy New Year from the Dyes. I didn't make any resolutions other than to keep working on my 35 things while I'm 35 and starting the Dessert of the Month Club. I'm the president and I forced Justin to join. It's to help us (me) eat less sugar without being too sad.

No comments: