The summer before a few of us girls went to Angela's cabin up Provo Canyon. I've never laughed so hard in my life. We're trying really hard to recreate this trip as soon as the stupid virus is over.
My senior year started August 2001. My birthday was September 10 but it was a Monday so my friends took me out to dinner the Saturday before.
We ate at TGI Fridays. Is that even a thing anymore?
And then the day after my birthday was September 11. I still have my journal from that time. My entry from that day reads in part:
Around 7:00 this morning, Chunga, Mister and Casey (the radio DJs I woke up to every morning) announced that an airplane had crashed into the World Trade Center. There were speculations that it had been a suicide. I imagined a small privately owned airplane sticking half-way out of the building. Then the report came in of the second crash.
I didn't see any footage until about 7:30 when I went downstairs. Smoke poured from the upper levels of both the buildings. I watched the news for another ten minutes and then I left for school.
Everyone was talking of the crashes. Most felt like it was the beginning of the 'the end.' A few boys said they were afraid to go to war. I heard from Tanner that the Pentagon had also been hit. I didn't believe it at first.
We watched the news during first period. Mrs. Miller (English) was very emotional. She said she was afraid for us because of what we would have to face. She said that we would be asked by our children about this day.
Mr. Hicks (principal) made a few remarks [over the intercom] throughout the day. He said homecoming celebrations would continue because we're Americans "and we're damn tough." I believe him.
By late afternoon, I was feeling saturated with the stories and images. The buildings had collapsed not long after they had been hit. Every local station was broadcasting the news with the exception of UPN and KBYU. Even MTV showed CNN.
Just like Mr. Hick's said, we continued with our Homecoming week with the game that Friday. The sadness and uncertainty hung over us but it also united our class and school. We felt strong. Go Devils.
![]() |
| Jaret Ware, Mandy Johnson, Me, Tiana Andrus, Kody Dunn |
![]() |
| Tiana Andrus, Natalie Something, Me, Suzy Day |
![]() |
| Tiana Andrus, Me, Angela Ercanbrack, Kenzie Martindale |
![]() |
| Me, Angela Ercanbrack, Tiana Andrus |
This is how we usually watched the football games--on the bleachers but sitting down and goofing off.
![]() |
| Emily Fawson, Tiana Andrus, Kenzie Martindale, Mandy Johsnon, Me |
Later that month my parents took my brother and I to San Francisco. (I can't find any photos from that trip.) I was super scared to fly to San Fran since there were reports that it was also an intended target before they grounded the planes on September 11. My dad pish-poshed my worries and we went. We were fine. I left my Seal CD in the rental car.
What did my friends and I do for fun? We mostly hung out at other people's houses with parents that could stand being inundated with teens who thought they were funny.
Our popular hang-outs: Jake Booth's, Dave Walker's, Brett Lee's, Mandy Johnson's, Shannon Johnson's.
![]() |
| Me, Kenzie Martindale |
![]() |
| Angela Ercanbrack, Me |
We also went bowling but in an ironic sort of way. Wouldn't it be hilarious to go bowling?
We had movie nights and ordered cheesesticks from Zubs all the time. We ate lunch at Arctic Circle, Ream's, and 7-Eleven. I drove my dad's 1989 Mazda 929. It leaked oil and that leaked oil would start to burn and smoke on the engine if I drove for more than 20 minutes at a time. The radio didn't work so I sang to myself. You had to wiggle the key to get the AC or windows to work. Angela named it Merlin because you had to understand wizardry to operate it.I was the most involved in extra curricular stuff than my previous years. I was a member of the Seminary Council and FHA and other clubs so I could be on more pages of the yearbook. FHA did the Mr. Springville pageant so I got to help make the set and escort one of the contestants, Andrew Vernon. It was super fun. On Seminary Council we got to plan the morningsides, decorate the building, plan events and challenges. I loved that the most.
![]() |
| Justin Beck as Sabastian from Little Mermaid. I helped him make his costume in sewing 3rd period. He did not win. |
Every other day I helped out at Mrs. Huntley's 3rd grade class at Mapleton Elementary. These kids are 26 now!
After Seminary first period, I left the high school to go to their school and as soon as I walked into class a few of the girls would run up to me with pictures they drew. It was such a fun class. Then I went home (which was down the street) and ate lunch and watched Pop Up Video on VH1. Then I went back for sewing and maybe went to TA with Mandy but mostly we didn't and just went home after that. That was my B day lol.
And then the year came to a close. Before we knew it, dances, drama, boys, projects, homework (not me necessarily) were over and done with.
![]() |
| Me and Mandy. We went on to Snow College together so we weren't sad. |
![]() |
| Angela, Me, Jena Krebs, Jill Roberts, Kenzie, Ashley Francis, Jessica Johnson |
![]() |
| Jake Martinez, Jason (Yoko) Dallin, Brett Lee, Sam Shaw, Jaret Ware, Alex York |
If you notice, Justin is missing from all my photos. He's in a few group dance pictures and some videos (We made tons of movies. I should post those!) He's around-- probably crushing on me from afar. Just kidding.



























No comments:
Post a Comment