To put it simply, there's not a whole lot going on around here. Justin has been working long days to finish up the report on Barney's mine by the end of the month. He has been working on this project for years and the end is in sight. I think he will feel satisfied when it is complete but since it's been a part of his life longer than two of his children, I can't help but wonder if there will be a little adjustment period when he moves onto new projects at work. We'll see.
I have been going through every box and drawer and tote in the house to find stuff to get rid of. While this is not unusual (you may argue it has become a past time of mine) I am finding less and less stuff to get rid of which is a little disappointing. But it is a good sign. It means we are almost down to only having what we love or use. And I can tell you exactly what is in every drawer in the kitchen, every tote in the storage room, every box under my bed. It's nice not to have more stuff than my brain can manage. I have also been deep-cleaning my house and seriously curtailing my screen usage. It feels good.
Sarah has been hard at work being a super student, super baby-sitter, super piano player. She doesn't do anything half-heartedly (except for her chores) and it's one of her greatest personality traits. She turned in her paper for middle school next year where she got to request which electives she'd like to take (orchestra and dance). She is so excited to leave elementary school but I don't know if I'm ready. She and I are definitely not ready for 8 am start time. She is hard at work learning some primary songs to play at Henry's friend's baptism and putting together her science project on the senses of smell and taste.
Henry is about half-way through his basketball season. He has practice on Wednesdays and games on Saturdays. He loves it. He is always ready to go early. Once we get to the gym, he is so chatty! He greets all his teammates, teases them a little, comments on their shots and dribbling as they warm up. It's hilarious. He is also super pumped about the Superbowl with his beloved Tom Brady. He is the first kid ready for school and kindly puts all the bikes and scooters in the car for him and his sisters to ride home.
Erica can only think and talk about her upcoming birthday. Okay, not really, but it's close. Every day she has new ideas about her party and cake. She finally gets to have a big friend birthday party (We only do them at 7, 10, 13, and 16). Wait until you see what she has come up with for her birthday cake. I can definitely say I've never made anything like it. She has been having some drama with her neighborhood friends. It seems like every day she comes in because somebody said something or did something rude. She can be overly sensitive at times and I know how these things blow over as quickly as they start. I stay out of it and instead give her ideas of how she can stick up for herself and others and teach people how to treat her. This is such a girl thing.
James wants to be a ninja when he grows up. He trains by watching Kung Fu Panda and Ninjago and pretend (or not so pretend) fighting anyone in the house that will put up with his antics. He wants to take karate. I am mean and won't sign him up. Maybe I'll sign him up for tumbling and he won't know the difference. He knows just about all the letters, he knows all the numbers and can do simple addition and touch counting. We are working on his pronunciation of L and TH. He substitutes 'w' and 'f' respectively.
And we play a lot of checkers. If he's not roundhouse kicking a tower of paper towels, he is playing checkers. The first few days I taught him the moves and rules and then when I got bored I sacrificed my pieces one by one until he won. Last time we played I lost but I wasn't trying to lose! Sure I had to clue him in on all the mistakes he was about to make but every piece of mine I lost, I wasn't trying to lose. I'm a below-average checkers player so take this for what it's worth--either he is quickly getting good or I am really really bad.
Some days he wears this for the better part of an afternoon. He is sad when we have to go in the car because I tell him he can't wear it and be safely buckled. He doesn't care too much about football. I think he just likes to look big and tough.
My parents are in Hurricane for the winter. I drove past their house and saw this on the lawn and had to turn around and investigate. Dead raccoon?
Nope, just some packing paper. My sister had the same thought when she drove by.
We made homemade ginger ale. I liked it but I wanted to be blown away by the delicioiusness after all the work it took to make it (peel and boil and strain a pound of ginger, boil with sugar to make a simple syrup, mix with club soda).
It was better the next day. But I think homemade lemonade is easier and even more refreshing. I may try another recipe someday.
When you have to take another bite because you feel like you missed out on one of the many flavors of your last bite, it's a good time.
Today at Reams James found a monster truck school bus. It's been awhile since I have seen something so ridiculous.
Scratch that--Friday Erica glued two pictures from her homework together and made this. I hate it. She thinks it's ugly too but she also gets such a kick out of it she won't throw it away.
So that's where things are during the second-longest month of the year (July feels longer). Good thing we didn't buy the kids sleds for Christmas because there have been no opportunities to use them. James asked when it was going to be winter. I told him it was winter and he replied, "No, real winter." I don't know, bud.













No comments:
Post a Comment