Thursday, April 1, 2021

News, Easter prep and "Doughnut Spree" is now a thing

What's this in my yard, you ask? Why that's a for sale sign. We are moving! We don't know where but we do know will be out in June so we will have to go somewhere else. 

Our newest Easter tradition is to paint wood eggs. This is our second year painting eggs and the kids enjoy it. It's less stressful than dying them plus I get to keep them as decorations for next year.








This makes me so happy. I think it will be so fun for the kids to see their collection grow and their artistic abilities evolve.

Last weekend while our house had dozens of showings, Justin and I went to Salt Lake for a couple of nights. The kids stayed with Justin's parents because after working on the house nonstop for a week, I needed a bit of a respite. And I hadn't been away from the kids since our anniversary last May and that was for like 24 hours.

Thursday night we ate dinner at Afghan Kitchen. I had never had Afghan food before. It's similar to Indian and I liked it because I love Indian food. 

On Friday the only thing on my agenda was to do a doughnut spree. If you've never done a doughnut spree (I'm just now making this term up), it's where you go get doughnuts from different doughnut spots and then eat them to decide which doughnut place is the best. We chose Donut Boy, Darla's Donuts, and Fresh Donuts and Deli based on their proximity to each other (I didn't want to spend all day driving all over Salt Lake county.

Donut Boy had the best old fashioned doughnut I've ever had. They are my favorite kind of doughnut.
This chocolate and peanut butter doughnut from Darla's was Justin's favorite. Darla herself served us at the drive thru! Plus someone earlier that day paid for a bunch of doughnuts so ours were free!
Sadly I didn't take a picture of the doughnuts from Fresh Donuts because they came in a bag, not a box and we didn't eat them until later. But they had the best doughnut holes. I'm going to remember that forever. And their chocolate cake doughnut was the best too.

So it wasn't a scientific outing but a delicious one! We weren't consistent on the kind of doughnuts we got at each place--we just chose what looked good wherever we were. Our not-so scientific conclusion is: All the doughnuts were dang good. Doughnut are good. Doughnut shops are much better than grocery stores. Donut Boy and Darla's are both in West Valley so I don't see my life taking me near there again but if I am, I'll stop. Fresh Donuts is on State Street in South Salt Lake so I'm more likely to cross paths with their shop again.


In between doughnut tasting, we ate lunch at Taqueria Los Lee because they had a picture of an authentic gordita online and I had never had a real gordita. This pocket stuffed full of meat is a gordita.

Below is not a gordita. What the heck, Taco Bell?

And this Taqueria Los Lee was just a few blocks from Fresh Donuts and Deli. So if you need a suggestion for a fancy lunch in South Salt Lake, there you go.

Next doughnut spree may be a southern loop to hit up a few places in South Jordan and Draper. 

Who is super excited about Easter? I am going to see family I haven't seen in months and months!

1 comment:

Megan Goodrich said...

Oh wow! That sign is huge-good luck with everything! Can't wait to see where you end up!