James had an assignment to make a video of himself explaining his favorite holiday tradition. He really wanted to tell his class about all the advent calendars we have. He really didn't want to make a video. We compromised with some photos instead and he wanted to take them.
He didn't want to tell me what he said to his class.
On the 3rd the Dyes went to our super secret tree grove to get our Christmas trees. We passed Scofield Reservoir and marveled at the ice fishermen.
Justin had never seen so many tents. Neither have I but I don't pay attention to such things nor have I been to Scofield as much as he has. It was 9 degrees out.
After a thrilling ride blazing a trail in the undriven road, we made it to our spot with only minimal getting stuck. James and Erica do not like sliding and bumping and getting stuck, even if it's just for a moment.
Justin and I found our tree and called down to the kids to have them give their approval. They were occupied with doughnuts and sleds so they didn't care. James did finally climb up with doughnut in hand. He slipped a couple of times and got his doughnut snowy, thus this face.
Isn't she a beauty?
This is tree camp.
This is us.
When we were about to head out Justin quiped "uh oh, we're stuck" and James instantly burst out into the most panicked tears and cry I've ever seen. It took a long time to reassure him. It was sad but a tiny kind of funny. Little bit.
After that we drove over the mountain and ate lunch in Fairview.

I wanted a skinny tree so that our chairs would still fit in the living room and I wanted it super tall because that's fun. We measured and measured and got it just right.
Decorating time! It took a couple of hours Saturday for Sarah and I to get the lights on. We were tired so we watched Elf instead of doing the ornaments. We did that Sunday evening after the church devotional.

James tried and tried to get this ornament as high as he could reach so he could have the highest ornament.
He did it! It was the highest ornament for a few minutes.
Showing off last year's creation.
Monday I finished putting the rest of the ornaments on since the kids lost interest. I made this garland for the banister with leftover limbs from Corey and Nadine's tree.
And this wreath.
Here's our tree all lit up. I think it's my favorite tree ever, if I can keep it lit. We've had two sets of lights poop out on us and that makes me crazy.
Who likes snow so much he has to run out and play in it before school? This kid.
This was a crazy week and the upside was I didn't have to make dinner for 3 nights. Tuesday was our Relief Society Christmas dinner that I was kind of in charge of. It came together beautifully because everyone did their part. But it was stressful when the sister in charge of centerpieces showed up with 15 minutes to go. We had a lot of leftover food and since I'm the only one on the committee with kids at home, I took home most of it. We have salad and baked potatoes to last us a week. The kids made quick work of the cake. I didn't get any photos of the event but I am proud to announce I pulled off using the projector with no technical difficulties.
Thursday was the bishopric and high council dinner with their wives hosted by the stake presidency. That was fun and fancy.
I just feel like it's important for everyone to know I've had this wool coat since I was a senior in high school. Yes, 21 years old and it's awesome.
Friday was Justin's work party. Here he is accepting his award for 10 years with the company. It's a photo that gets more awkward the more I look at it.
Here we go. That's better.It's a motor grater. The kids will love seeing it on his desk when they visit him at work like the skid steer (or whatever it's called) for his 5 year award. The guy with the 35-year award got a dump truck so we're aiming for that.
Here are all the partners. Justin, Ryan (president), Kevin, and the three Anderson brothers I can never keep straight.
Saturday I made the kids paint me some ornaments.
For several years at Rees they made clay ornaments in art and they were my favorite. Then they got a new art teacher and she was lame and didn't do that. Then we moved. So I buy these ornaments at Hobby Lobby and we do it ourselves.I sprayed them with a clear coat and here's how they turned out. Henry's is the one with the fried egg.
For this week we have to make divinity and fudge (again) and watch more Christmas movies and I have to finish a quilt. Our new oven was to be delivered tomorrow but it's been delayed until next Monday.

























1 comment:
So fun, I LOVE the tall tree!
Post a Comment