Sunday, November 26, 2023

Thanksgiving 2023

This year we spent Thanksgiving at my parents' house. It was a smaller group than usual, only 15 of us but it was still fun. My mom asked Justin if he'd cook the turkey this year and that quickly evolved to Justin deep frying the turkey. My dad bought a turkey fryer years ago but had never used it. This year was the year! We all came out to watch the ceremonious lowering of the turkey but it wasn't dramatic at all like on youtube. No splatter. No flames. Justin knows what he's doing.

It was so good! Totally worth the $50 in peanut oil my dad spent. Ha!

Since we were such a small group, we all ate together in the living room instead of spread out around the house. I think that was my favorite part.

After dinner we ate pie. We had 8 pies for 15 people! Then we played games until late. Erica was our score keeper for hand and foot. I was on the losing team again. I need to step up my cheating game.

Friday Justin and I took a truck full of stuff to donate to DI and then he made stew and I made a cake for his grandma's holiday party that evening. The middles spent the day playing in the snow with friends, Sarah went to her friend's house to watch a movie and Henry had the TV to himself to watch all the football his little sports loving heart could handle.

At the party that night Henry begged and begged to be allowed to be a part of the adults' white elephant gift exchange but we convinced him he'd have a better chance of getting something he liked with the kid group. He got 2 pairs of pink snow pants. Oops. He traded for a neanderthal game so he didn't cry but I'm going to bet it will be impossible to convince him to join that group next year.

James scored a brand new pair of headphones. He's used them with Justin's old ipod or sometimes wears them not plugged into anything at all.
I love when Thanksgiving is early because I don't have to rush right into Christmas decorating the next day. I'll slowly clean and move stuff off of shelves this week and we'll go tree hunting on Saturday.

No comments: