Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Let's make it festive

At our town's annual tree lighting, the 1st graders get to sing carols and countdown to lights on. James is a first grader this year! His class is so cute. They were to meet at the gazebo and every time a kid arrived the class would shout "Hi (insert name)!" It was so cute
He was having a great time and actually knew the songs and sang so well.
After the lights were officially on, we walked around the park. We have lost a child the previous two years so we were discussing which of our children we would lose this time. Henry didn't come because he was sick so it was Sarah's turn. But she's 15 and has a phone so we didn't lose her.
We did help Erica's friend who was lost find her mom so I think that maintains the tradition. It's a crowded park and even with all the lights it's pretty dark.

Friday night was our ward party and then Saturday we went tree hunting. This is always an adventure. We drove to our super secret tree forest spot. There was a lot of snow and that makes it more challenging but fun. First up is bundling up and snow angels.

Corey brought doughnuts. There's something about eating chilled doughnuts in the snow that is extra delicious. We also brought hot chocolate.

Carrying down the tree!
It's a tad tall.
After we lined up our finds, we roasted hotdogs over the fire and they were delicious too. Food tastes better when it's eaten in the snow.
It took me 2 hours and 10 strings of lights.




Our designated hook hander-outer.

We worked on the tree Saturday and Sunday evenings. I waited until they went to school to spread out the gold section.


Justin won a 10 foot blanket at his work party and the kids can still manage to fight over it. It begs the question if there is a blanket big enough they won't fight over.

Sunday Henry got to speak to the incoming deacons in our ward and he wrote the sweetest talk. He was such a stinker before church and wrote this during sacrament meeting. I swear he knows when he's about to be sent to Timbuctoo and pulls something like this. 
My sister in NC sent a box of treasures she's found and thought we'd get a kick out of. I scored a couple of awesome t-shirts and the kids loved these stamp sets. She also sent me a gigantic bag of buttons just begging to be made into something awesome.
Erica had her choir concert. She got really tired of rehearsals twice a week before school but she stuck with it. I didn't make her but I did ask her what it meant if she quit choir and piano.
They did such a great job. They sang some difficult songs and I was impressed.
My nephew Kyle came home from his mission in Tennessee. This is a horse hat he brought home.Pretty sure we need to get this hat and my moose hat together for an epic photo.
Sarah and James had their orchestra concerts this week. I took mostly videos but here's a photo to mark the occasion.
Tonight is our Relief Society Christmas dinner and then I think we are done with all the events. I love the concerts and parties and stuff but my favorite part of the season is when we get to the point all we have to do is make candy and watch movies. Yes, let's stay home.

1 comment:

Megan Goodrich said...

I love your tree. Merry Christmas Dye family!