Monday, May 27, 2024

Last days of school

The school year seems to wind down earlier and earlier. Sarah's final orchestra concert was on Henry's birthday. She did a great job and even accompanied the orchestra on the piano. She had so much fun and did a great job. She's not taking orchestra next year because there are other classes she wants to take but she may join again junior year.

 

Erica's fourth grade put on a program all about Utah. They dressed up in western clothes and sang songs

and square-danced! It was pretty cute even though most of the kids looked like they were being tortured.

James and his friends were getting a head start on nice summer evenings. I sure hope they recreate this picture in 10 years.

Desk cleanout leads to mega backpack cleanout once they get home. Erica had fun showing me all the work she was so proud of and then threw nearly all of it away. 

Looking at James's work I asked him if he was always bored at school (Yes!) I love this dragon he drew.

 

First day vs last day. 


  

And now I'm sad. I don't like any reminders of how fast they are growing and that time just keeps marching on.

I don't think I can overstate how much Erica loved Miss Blaisdell. Everyone loves Miss Blaisdell but Erica loved her with all her heart. After having such a hard time with her third grade teacher Erica needed her. Erica was pretty emotional all the last week of school and didn't want to talk about the year ending. According to her, Miss Blaisdell was pretty emotional too and cried on the last day. When I picked Erica up she had been crying and sobbed most of the afternoon until her friends came over. I am so grateful for Miss Blaisdell and all teachers who put their whole heart into their jobs.
James's teacher Mrs. Murdock is retiring after this year. She is such a wonderful person. After meeting her just once at the beginning of the year I told Justin I think I just met my new best friend. She just has a way of making you feel so important and interesting--perfect for these little first graders. James is going to miss her too and is sad he won't see her around the school next year. But she lives across the street from the school so James says he's going to stop by all the time. His student teacher who he also loved will be teaching first grade next year so he's excited to see her again.

All my kids had such great years. Next year Sarah moves to the high school and Henry to the junior high so here's to more change. Always change.

We took the kids out to lunch and then tried to be most accommodating to hang out with friends. Sarah went to a party a couple of streets over, Henry went to Luke Fuller's to play video games, Erica had two friends over for a late night (they ate hamburgers and watched The Incredibles) and James went to Calvin's for scones and whatever shenanigans 7-year-old boys do until dark.

No comments: