Tuesday, November 12, 2024

James Turns 8

James is 8 and I'm okay with it. You'd think I'd be sad that my baby has hit such a major milestone but I haven't really been sad at all. James has been off and running, ready to go and grow up the moment he was born so I'm used to things coming fast and real with this kid.

We started his celebration off the night before his birthday at a local restaurant that serves Chinese and American food. Winners all around. James, Justin and I got Chinese, the other three kids all got burgers.

Complimentary cheese wontons for the birthday boy and his much loved orange chicken. They even sang to him in Chinese!

 

The next morning was Sunday so we had birthday breakfast without Justin. James requested that Henry make him pancakes. James style is no syrup, no nothing, not even a fork. Just pick it up and eat it. We also had chocolate milk and bacon.

At church he took Cosmic Brownies to share with his primary class. After church I began working on his cake while the kids played. Once it was all frosted I called him in to do the candles.
He requested chocolate cake with chocolate frosting in the shape of an 8. I made my grandma Syme's chocolate cake recipe and made a fudge frosting for the first time. It may be one of my favorite frostings ever.
Who does he look more like?
 
Once Justin got home it was time for presents!


I got all the snacks he asked for plus a few more. He got a watch, dominoes, a book, and a Life card game.

We had homemade macaroni and cheese, carrots, and peach fluffy salad. All things orange for my orange loving kid. Then we sang happy birthday and ate cake. Sarah wasn't feeling well so she missed out on this portion of the evening.

Since his baptism was the next week it was just us and he didn't seem to mind.

I love this kid.


A few things you may not know about James:

He loves school. He is always up and ready to go early.

He loves playing the piano. He never drags his feet about practicing and he will sit down and play just to play.

He was on this kick of creating his own cereals. They were gross and weird and totally funny. This is the back side of "Stinky Pete's Cereal" complete with word search, maze, and nutrition information.
He tells me he is so bored at school and doesn't learn anything. I believe it when it comes to math but I know he's learning stuff in science and social studies.
It is so hard to get him to try new foods or even just eat the regular things we have for dinner. He doesn't like eggs or cheese so I don't know what to do with him most of the time. Making his lunch is a struggle; I can see the stress and despair in his eyes as I suggest things to put in his lunch box. 

He will tackle Henry at any moment.

He loves Harry Potter, cribbage, Star Wars, chess, Legos. All the nerdy things. If he was old enough for Lord of the Rings and Dungeons and Dragos he'd love that too.
He goes through spurts where all he wants to do is play with his friends for hours and hours and then he'll go days with no interest in playing whatsoever.

He does what's right. He's on time for stuff, he does his homework, knows all the answers in his primary class, he prepares his primary talks. He also fights me when it's time to take a bath and we have very different ideas of what a clean room looks like. And when he's wrestling with Henry he stops listening to me.
When I tucked him that night I told him being his mom was my favorite part of being alive and I hope we can keep this good thing going forever. He agreed. We love you James!

His birthday sheet:



No comments: