Thursday, December 12, 2024

Holiday Hero

I don't know why I chose that title. I read it somewhere and I kind of like it even though I don't really know what it means.

Saturday after Thanksgiving we drove to our secret tree spot to cut down a Christmas tree. But there were 5 trucks in our spot! Someone talked. So we had to find a new spot down the road. It turned out okay. The trees were just as good and the sledding proved fun after experimenting on a few different spots.
After some hot chocolate and doughnuts, the littles went sledding and the adults plus Sarah searched for a tree. Henry was home sick, poor thing. 

There she be. Isn't she a beauty?

It's like a 20 footer which is the max allowed. But I wanted it.
I did half of the cutting and then Justin finished her off and Sarah and I mostly kind of helped drag it down. 
We had to lop off several feet to get it to fit in the truck.
Then we spent more time watching the kids sled and then headed back down. Sometimes we stop for lunch somewhere but I felt bad leaving Henry home all sick. Luckily he spent the quiet morning alone sleeping.

After taking off like 3 more feet it was the right size for the living room. So this is like just over half the original height. Don't worry, I put the extra branches to good use. It took me almost 2 hours to put the lights on. Eleven and a half feet, 10 strings of lights and dozens of green ornament hooks to attach the lights to branches.

And then Sunday night we decorated.

We put the tree next to the stairs this year for the sole purpose of making it easier to decorate.







Erica was the only one that wanted to go to the city's tree lighting event at city park so I took her. Every year we lose a child during this super crowded and dimly lit event so I figured a 1:1 ratio was probably best.
 

I didn't lose a kid but within 5 minutes of being there, we found a lost little boy calling frantically for his dad. Now, what I did next is probably not kosher everywhere but it's a pretty standard response in a town like mine at a time like this. I asked him if he was looking for his dad and he said yes. Then I asked if I could lift him up so he could see above the crowd to find him. So I lifted him up as high as I could so he could see around and I didn't take a step. We were near the gazebo where the music and microphone were and I told him once this song was over we'd walk there and we would get help. Yes, maybe picking him up was a little fishy but I kept telling myself I was glad I got to him before some creepo and his parents will be grateful too. I wouldn't think the worst of a respectable looking mother with her daughter in tow who was clearly looking around for someone, not luring a child away into a van. Anyway, he spotted his big brother "Wandon" so I yelled "Landon!" (I guessed on the pronunciation) and he was reunited! His mother followed soon after and she was grateful. "I have 5 kids so this was bound to happen." I told her I lose a kid every year so it was time to return the favor. 

Maybe I am a holiday hero.

Anyways, we spent our time there deciding if long lines for hot chocolate and smores were worth it and looking for her friends, namely Truman. Sarah was also there somewhere working a station so we looked for her too.

Santa rolled up in a firetruck.

She found some friends and a gigantic chair.

Once she'd had enough (we never spotted Truman or Sarah) we walked back to the car. We did see lots of neighbors and schoolmates. It's a cute, festive night.

One of the perks of working at the school is that I get to see things parents don't. Like sing around the tree. One afternoon James' grade was performing for the school.
And since kindergarten gets a front row view, I got a front row view.
They did such a good job. And then the whole school sings Christmas songs at the top of their lungs. It's a good time but really loud.

It took me a few days but here's how the tree finished up and the garland I made with the branches we lopped off.

Ooooooooh pretty. I know this isn't the most interesting thing for others to look at but I like looking back at how our decorations have evolved.
 

New this year I made some simple Swedish wreaths and bought remote controlled candles. Like magic the candles turn on each evening at 5 and off at 9.

The wreaths and candles draw attention to the sad state of my foggy upper windows but I still like it.
Justin and I bought this poster at the BYU art museum months ago and then I found this frame at the thrift store for $4. 
It is Christmas. It really is.
The kids like seeing the tree as they come up from downstairs and it is a nice sight. This tree isn't the best one we've had. It is fuller than some years but it has wonky and uneven branches; not symmetrical or balanced at all.
I think trees might be my favorite Christmas decoration. All forms.
Our ward had our Christmas party yesterday. It was a Christmas breakfast with a wiseman theme. The cultural hall was decked out and I joked to Sister W it looked fancier than my wedding reception. Not true but still funny to say and it was really fancy.


We walked down the hall to the primary room through a display of nativities then went to the young women's room for food then back to the gym to eat. The primary kids sang, then the choir. Then Bishop Dye said a few words. It was all very nice. 
Plus the relief society president, bless her heart, gifted my kids a leftover box of Shirley's cinnamon rolls since they stayed late to clean up. If you've read my blog for any amount of time you know Shirley's cinnamon rolls are my single most favorite cinnamon roll and maybe my most favorite food ever. 

Maybe Sister B is the true holiday hero.

No comments: