Wednesday, August 20, 2025

Everything of Sarah in Kenya all at once

This is my blog, not Sarah's blog, so I will not do it justice to share Sarah's experience in Kenya. Here are all the pictures and a bit of what I know.

She was miserable on the flight over. She was nervous about going and had a little bit of regret. Most of her anxiety stemmed from not knowing anyone. Most of the kids were in the same ward, a few were granddaughters of leaders. That left Sarah as the only one without a friend. She was so worried about that. But Bro Bell knew she would do well and she did. She got to know everyone really well and even though they stayed in their groups, she melded well with Bro Bell's granddaughters and they took good care of her. All the leaders were amazing and looked after them.

I was a nervous wreck until I knew she had landed safely. We said goodbye as she left the airport in Nairobi and turned over her phone. I looked forward to the picture updates each day. The 9-hour time difference messed with my head. 





This is Cheri who's job it was to take pictures and post them to the parents' group. And she was everyone's mom away from home.

I asked her if she felt like a tourist or a missionary or what. She said a service missionary. They read books to kids, painted a school, taught line dancing, taught lessons, led church discussions, tried new food, bartered, zip-lined, dispersed food, swapped stories, served in the temple, went on a safari, held babies, held hands, had their hair touched a lot, played games, played instruments, sang songs, saw lions, made new friends.





















This was at a cerebral palsy group home. She said this was her favorite.

On safari at Masai Mara National Reserve









Look at her go!



















I'm so proud of her. I'm so impressed by her! There's no way I could have done this at 16. I missed her so much every day but then I'd get more pictures and be like, okay, I'm glad she's there. 

We are all part of one big family and God is our Father. Ask Sarah how she knows.

The End

1 comment:

Megan Goodrich said...

What an amazing opportunity! Sarah is beautiful, inside and out.