Tuesday, October 28, 2025

Sarah Turns 17

What the heck. I remember 17 so well. It's crazy to think Sarah is that old. 

The night before I let the other kids stay up late to decorate. They did a great job!

 

She wasn't sure she wanted to have a birthday breakfast and open presents since she has to leave pretty early but we just did it anyway. The other kids are more than happy to get up early, especially if there are waffles.

First up, presents!

She got a smartwatch, a digital picture frame, new earbuds (she lost hers somewhere in Florida), some snacks and a silk pillowcase.

She also got a new water bottle and a sweatshirt.

Then waffles and chocolate milk for breakfast.

She skipped out on swim practice that afternoon so she could get home before 5pm. I wish I could say she had a fun afternoon at home but we are having new windows installed so the house was freezing, the work was noisy and dusty. We basically stared at Justin until he was done with work and declared we could go out to dinner. She had wanted to eat at home but since it was cold and the installers would be watching us, we went out.



They even sang to her and brought out ice cream.

She's all grown up! 

She chose creme brulee for dessert which I made while wearing a coat in my freezing house while everyone was at school. Since candles can't very well be put in creme brulee, I also made a pan of brownies just to hold the candles and so that those that don't love creme brulee won't eat it (James).

Her grandparents came over. She got money from my parents and candy and giftcards from Justin's parents and a promised shopping trip from Nadine.


I love this girl. She is gracious and kind and helpful and genuine. There's not an insincere bone in her body. She and her friends are so nerdy but in the most endearing and fun way. High school can be a brutal place but she has this little bubble of sweet friends. Here are some things about Sarah at this age I don't want to forget.

She is having fun on swim team. The first practice in the pool was very hard for her and broke her down but she had such a great attitude about being patient with herself and went back the next day.
She is such a hard worker. I think she misses Reams for the social aspect and earning money but all her hard work is transferred to swim right now. She has her first meet this Saturday and she is nervous for it but knows it's just a starting point, a baseline, no expectations other than to see what it's like.
She's willing to tackle piano challenges. She was asked to accompany a mother/daughter duo for a violin musical number for sacrament meeting. The music was pretty challenging for her but she practiced and practiced and got it down and she sounded flawless at church.
"What can I help with?" she always asks when she sees me doing something. Most of the time I just want her to sit down and tell me about stuff so I don't give her anything to do since I know she's been busy all day.
She may not want anyone to know because she's still processing but she got her first A- in her English 1010 class. She did not like that! Her teacher is a tough grader but an A- is still a great grade! Especially in a college course when you're only a junior in high school. And in English which is not her favorite subject. This was bound to happen at some point so I'm glad in happened in high school when I'm here to help her and not college far away. She learned some valuable lessons about perfection and doing your best and being proud of your work and also how college professors don't say everything in class you're expected to know; some things are posted and never mentioned but you're expected to know that, too.
And someday when she's got her master's in accounting and making tons of money and has 7 beautiful kids and touring Europe with her husband, she and no one else will care about her grades in high school. Then, and basically once she starts college and her GPA is reset.
The future is bright for this girl!

No comments: