We started the morning off with red white and blue pancakes for breakfast. After breakfast we watched some patriotic videos on a youtube playlist I've been adding to for a couple of years. I don't think my kids looove that we make them learn and remember the history behind the holiday but I betcha they will make their kids take time on the 4th of July to remember.
And then a water balloon fight broke out in the backyard. It lasted longer than I would have expected and only a few tears.We didn't have any plans for the day since we were going to the Stadium of Fire that night so the kids watched Top Gun: Maverik and I worked on my relief society lesson and Justin took a nap.
We had plans to go out for dinner in Provo but all the good restaurants were closed for the holiday so we had chicken sandwiches at home. We did go to Brooker's Founding Flavors for ice cream because it's just not Independence Day without Aaron Burr's Murderous Shot Madagascar Vanilla.Then we parked on campus and walked forever to the stadium. I was making fun of Henry's water bottle pockets.This spot outside the Marriott Center is where my family watched the fireworks for like a decade. We haven't been for 20 years and I was surprised to see people still using the spot as the trees are huge and it can't be that good of a view anymore.
Right in there between the pine trees is where we would spend all day hiding from the sun until dark.
We finally got to the stadium but had to walk around it to our portal. I was surprised to see that people watched the fireworks from right outside the stadium. Who knew? We could have been this close for all those years.
I have never been inside Stadium of Fire despite living in Utah county my whole life and watching the fireworks from campus. Here are my thoughts: it was hot, it was crowded, the benches are so uncomfortable. Luckily the little girl sitting next to me sat on her mom's lap the entire time so that freed up a bit of room.
The setting sun hitting the mountains and the new Provo temple was magical.
Music was great. Gentry and a local professional choir opened the night with some of my favorite patriotic songs.
Helicopters were not as awesome as the traditional jets from years ago but I liked it.
Motorcycle stunt team was fun even if a bit repetitive after awhile.
Seatmate: 5 stars.
I couldn't name one Brad Paisley song (still can't) but it was a good time. I dislike (only rap music irks me more) nearly all country music but he's alright. It helps that he is a great guitarist and actually writes his songs so they are good quality.
He did the right amount of chatting with the crowd and genuinely enjoyed being there (this is his second time performing at Stadium of Fire)
James was bored out of his mind and kept asking how many more songs. Brad sang for about an hour and a half which I think was just fine.
After the concert there was a fun drone show which I had never seen one before and then the fireworks. All in all, it was a great night. I don't think I'd go back unless I really liked the performer enough to pay for a real seat. And it was in keeping of doing something different each year for the 4th. It was good to go big for America's 250th.
Happy Birthday, America. You're the best country the world has ever seen.


















No comments:
Post a Comment