Friday, July 17, 2026

Highs and Lows

The day 15 years in the making finally happened! The stars aligned and the 5 of the coolest girls from Springville High got together for an evening of remiscining and laughter. Mandy was up from Phoenix for the 4th and Tiana was down from Meridian for a family reunion so Angela made the drive from Rexburg as to not be the one left out. We haven't all been together for over 20 years! We think the last time we were together was for Angela's wedding in 2004. I see Kenz often as she lives in Springville. Tiana I see at least once a year as she's good to let us know when she's in town to visit her mom. Mandy is a little harder to catch but Angela's parents moved to Idaho after graduation so she has no reason to come this far anymore. Last time I saw her was in 2020 on our way to Island Park.


We ate dinner at restaurant and then went to an ice cream shop that is always pretty empty inside for dessert and to keep talking. I brought my photo albums from junior high and high school for a good laugh.


I think we could have talked all night. I miss these ladies so much and was sad to say goodbye. We can't let it go that long again.
The next day Sarah left for her second trip to Kenya. She has been looking forward to this more than last year. She knows most of the people going this time compared to knowing no one last year. And she knew just what to expect from the itinerary, culture, food, etc. so she was less nervous, just all excitement. Sixteen days in Kenya and then 6 days in Switzerland. We miss her but it has been so fun to see what she's up to each day. 
I'll post about her whole trip at once later but I will share these photos I got from my cousin John.
He and his wife Nancy live in Nairobi and took Sarah out to dinner her second night there. I think they were so happy to have family visit and it helps my mom heart to know there is family there for Sarah, if she should need it. 


We had swimming lessons to keep us busy the week Sarah left. It always feel like it's finally summer when we get to Miss Debbie's swim school.
James and Erica did awesome and both passed their classes.



One Saturday morning Justin and James went fishing up Diamond Fork. James loves fish tacos so he has to learn to love fishing too.

James went to Clint's Reptile House (real place in Springville) for a primary activity. His leaders got the heebie jeebies and couldn't stay inside so luckily the twin's dad was there dropping the twins off and volunteered to stay with the boys and take these photos. Same, Sisters H and G, same.
This is quickly turning into all James. He heard about a city chess tournament and wanted in so I signed him up. The night before he read the full page of rules beforehand and was stoked about it.
Prizes are handed out by age group but you play opponents of all ages. It was a blitz style tournament so you play as many 5-minute games as you can but you can't play the same opponent twice. 
You report who won and loss to the official at the end of each game and they keep track of your record.



He ended up with 11 wins and 5 losses which is great when you consider nearly everyone he played was older than him. The winner of his age bracket is the girl in the pink shirt who looked like she's 7 years old. He says he wants to play again next year. If you come over, he will probably ask you to play chess.

More James. He went fishing the following Friday with Justin, his dad and his dad's friends from Springville. It worked out it was his dad's pday from his mission at Heber Valley.
They went to Strawberry Reservoir and had a great time. All the men let James reel in just about every fish so James had an especially good time.
That same morning I was involved in the greatest land claim since the 1889 Oklahoma Territory. The city declared that spots for Saturday's fireworks couldn't be set up in Ira Allen Park until 10am Friday morning. This was at 9:45 when I met up with my sister, brother-in-law, his brother and 2 of my nephews.
People started inching forward, inching forward until finally at 9:50 someone started running so we all had to start running. Blankets, wagons, stakes a-flying. It was so stupid. Stupidly necessary if you want to get a spot in the park. Word is out that Mapleton has the best fireworks show in the state.
By 10am the park was all claimed. I left at 10:03 and felt bad for the people just arriving.

Meanwhile, Henry tagged along with me shopping. We found a license plate from Hawaii! Sorry it's blurry; the truck began driving off.
That night for dinner Justin took me to a Korean place in Provo. When we came out, I noticed his parking job. How did he get so close without hitting the building and without trying? Skills, he'll say.
Not pictured: Henry doing absolutely nothing this week. His snow cone shack work partner is at FSY so Henry isn't on the schedule (Mary Kay only schedules in friend pairs to keep it fun and not awkard or something). It's been his only true break this summer so okay.

Erica playing all day every day with her neighborhood friends. They mostly play here. It's giggly and messy and sometimes I have to tell her to find somewhere else to play and eat someone else's food. I am out of popsicles.

Tomorrow is Mapleton's pioneer day celebration. Feels weird to celebrate so early and I'm not in the mood despite it being my 4th favorite holiday . Maybe tomorrow I'll be feeling it.

No comments: