I just want to finish something I thought to myself, even if it can't be the 400 IM. Then I see the pile of unfinished craft stuff on Justin's homework desk. I can do something Michael Phelps can't do and that makes me feel better in a pathetic way. So here's what has boosted my self esteem. (I've included how much it cost me because I'm cheap and like to brag about that. And please don't tell me Michael Phelps most likely can spray paint and stick stickers because then I'll feel bad again.)
Here is Sarah's growth chart. I've had the piece of wood and paint since April when I made Henry's for his birthday. Hers went much smoother and she loves how it turned out. Total cost: $8
This is a birthday countdown. I got the number stickers at Hobby Lobby, the birthday stickers at Walmart and the baking sheet at the dollar store. The kid's picture goes in the empty space and they get to move the magnet each day until their big day. Total cost: $5
This was my biggest project and one I roped Justin into doing the hard part. The board is a piece of wainscoting from when we did our kitchen 4 years ago. I spray painted that and a piece of chair rail black. Then Justin mounted both pieces to the wall. Total cost: $30 (that doesn't include the cost of the board since I don't remember and the emotional toll of doing a project with one's spouse).
These hoops are in Sarah's room, above her dresser. This was the quickest project although I might add some embroidery somethings to the big blue hoop. Total cost $13. They look crooked, don't they? I'm gonna go fix that.
This project was the stinkiest. It's a cupcake and cake stand for Sarah's birthday. The metal rounds are burner covers that I painted silver. Then I glued those to candlestick holders with glue people get high from. The burner covers and candlestick holders are from the dollar store and the glue and paint from Walmart. Total cost: $10
Let's see Michael Phelps do that. And Michael, in case you're reading this, I'm just kidding. I think you and your wrap-around-back-slap are awesome.
2 comments:
I had a similar epiphany during the Olympics. I told Nate, "Yeah, maybe I can't play volleyball like that, or run that fast, or do gymnastics or whatever, but how many of those people have dedicated their lives to raising their children? Without a nanny? Because that's what I do and I'm awesome. Where is my gold medal?"
Way to go! I love the crafts...I have a bit of an obsession. Much to the dismay of my hubby. I too blame hobby lobby. I was so happy we have one five miles from our new house. Jon, not so excited. Our dinning room in now my craft room. Projects start and moths later...finish. When you only have nap time and 9:00-midnight to work on projects it takes a while to complete anything.
I love the bday thing. I will make one for sure when I have a child who starts asking when their bday is all day everyday for weeks...I am guessing that was a big influence for making that one!? So cute though.
All the Olympics made me think about is how pathetically out of shape I am...I still blame my one year for that.
Post a Comment