Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Pioneer Children

Pioneer Day is one of the few holidays I get really excited about.  I think it's because my hometown of Mapleton throws the best party.
After a breakfast of big-as-your-face pancakes and imitation eggs, there's a parade that has candy and loud firetrucks and primary kids.

 Serious Henry contemplating the validity of cheerleaders in parades.
New this year, pony rides! After one time around, Sarah wanted off.  Not until you get your $2 worth.
 Happy Henry petting a pony or something.
 Onto the games. You can fish for a duck,
  wait in lines with your cousins,
 and knock down an ugly troll.  And there's always a consolation prize of a tootsie roll to add to your collection from the parade.
 That night, the whole town gathers to listen to music and wait for the fireworks.
And of course, shake their groove thang.
Rollie Pollie Henry rolled around a lot while waiting for the fireworks.  The fireworks were a-mazing as always.  If you can't feel your gut shake and get ash in your hair, it isn't a good show.
 Messy face break.  And this chicken is delicious.  Check out the recipe here
Nothing completes a week of cousins and pioneerish celebrations like a trip up the canyon. And sticks.  You need lots of sticks.
 Handsome Henry.
So I'm on this treat fast.  No treats from June 11 to my birthday (September 10) with a s'more exception.  I like to go big or go home when it comes to s'mores. Two mallows and a Reese's cup.  And apparently close your eyes and keep your pinkies up.
 More cousins and sticks.
Henry made this face yesterday to get his message across more forcefully.  He wanted something and I wasn't understanding so he thought this would help.
And Henry loves to watch flies.  He gets so excited when he sees one on the table.

2 comments:

Steve and Stace said...

I think you have ruined me with the reeses peanut butter cup idea with the s'more....sounds to die for. :)

Kirsta Silvey said...

I will also try this so called "treat fast." I think I can do it, as long as I don't buy an ice cream at the store. We loved the 24th funtivities as well. Also, we need to hang out. Gray is wanting to play with is best friend!