Saturday, April 27, 2013

Henry's Car Mat Town

I'm pretty sure the moment I knew I was having a boy, I knew I wanted to make a car mat but then I had to wait two more years for him to fully appreciate it.  My little brother had one growing up that we played with all the time.  And Justin had one his parents made for him.  So those, along with some I found online were the inspiration for Henryville.  I tried to think of places that Henry likes to go around town along with creating places he can use his other little toys.  He still has to wait a couple of weeks until his birthday to see it. All the blocks were made individually and then sewn to a 3' x 4' piece of dark grey felt to create the roads. It's made with mostly felt but there's some other fabrics, ric-rac, a shoelace, and some buttons around town as well. Someday if I'm feeling ambitious or if I have another boy, I may make another that lines up with the roads. 
First stop, the woods.  Henry is getting a set of little forest animals for his birthday as well.  They can hang out here.  The tent is big enough for a hotwheel to be tucked inside since I figured that's what Henry would try to do anyway.
This is the farm for his little tractor to plow the fields and a corral for his horse.  Notice the fruit trees?
And a lake for his boats.
This is the church although it looks nothing like the church building we attend. I don't like the look of our decades old stake center so we get a generic building instead.
 Here's Spanish Fork library and the playground behind it.
 And what would a car town be without a gas station and car wash?
Ice cream store, toy store, and the all-important Chuck-a-Rama.  I needed some more ideas and asked Sarah where her favorite place to go was thus the inclusion of Chuck-a-Rama
 A construction site for all the trucks.
Nana and Papa's house, my parents' house, and our house.  I think I did a freakishly good job capturing these houses in felt.
And the all-important Macey's.  See the grocery cart, flowers, and tower of oranges? This was my first and favorite block.
Sarah played with it every step of its creation so I'm pretty sure it's going to be a hit around here.

4 comments:

The Walker's said...

Wow Di, that is amazing! He is going to love it! You are so creative and crafty! And P.S. I can't believe Henry is going to be 2 soon, crazy!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I could totally tell which house was which and I've never even seen Justin's parent's house before. Nice job!

Meredith

Mandy said...

I love this!!! I have never heard of or seen a car mat before?! What is wrong with me? But know I want one! That is awesome!! He will love it! You did a fantastic job! What a lucky boy!

Mandy said...

*now not know...