Friday, March 31, 2017

The Art of Homemaking: Cookies


My last "doing right" post might lead you believe I don't like being in the kitchen. Actually I love being in the kitchen if I'm making what I like and that's dessert! One of the things I dislike about making dinner is measuring ingredients. I eyeball stuff as much as I can. But I love to bake where measuring is essential and I don't mind doing it at all! I have several sets of measuring spoons and measuring cups and even a kitchen scale so I can be as accurate and scientific as possible. Plus I've got cookie scoops, spatulas, whisks, frosting bags and tips, cake stands, tins, baking sheets, and 9 mixing bowls. But I want more of everything!

Last year I really stretched my baking skills by branching out and making pies but cake was and is my first love. I've been making cakes from a box since I was a kid, learned how to make frosting when I was 12 or so and have tried to hone my decorating skills once I had kids. I pretty much love any homemade frosting and think the "frosting" in a can is an abomination. Cake is fun to make and even more fun to eat.

Justin loves pie as much as I love cake but we're really not a fan of the other. If there were a Venn diagram of the dessert categories Justin and I love, we'd overlap with cookies. Thus cookies are the go-to dessert around here. (My kids have their favorite things too but they'll eat anything with sugar--they're kids.)

Here's my philosophy on cookies: You only need three, maybe four, killer cookie recipes. Cookies don't need to be fancy. Cookies are the quintessential comfort food. Who didn't love coming home from school to fresh cookies made by mom? Cookies are the solution to so many problems. Rainy day? Cookies. What to take to the potluck? Cookies. How do we help Sister So-and-So? Cookies. How can we befriend the new neighbor? Cookies. What can I do to make today more fun? Cookies. What do we need to pack for our trip? Cookies. How do I find a husband? Cookies.

That last one is true. I wriggled my way into Justin's apartment and into his life with peanut butter cookies in hand.  Here's the recipe:

"How to Catch A Boy Peanut Butter Cookies"
-recipe from my dear high school friend and college roommate Suzy Day Young

3/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 c brown sugar
3 T milk
1 T vanilla
1 egg
1 3/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda

1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Combine first 5 ingredients in stand mixer. Beat until well blended. Add egg. Beat just until blended.
3. Combine flour, salt, and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture at low speed. Mix just until blended.
4. Roll into balls and roll around in a bowl of sugar. Drop 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. (Don't smush with a fork, keep them in balls.) Bake 7-8 min.

-These are in the regular cookie rotation today, especially if I need to remind Justin why he fell in love with me.

Here's the classic and ever essential chocolate chip cookie recipe. This one we get creative with and substitute M&Ms and other candies.

"Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies"
-from The Essential Mormon Cookbook by Julie Badger Jensen

1 cup butter softened
3/4 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 (12-ounce) bag chocolate chips

Cream together butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla. In a separate bowl sift together flour, salt, and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture and beat well. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop onto ungreased cookie sheet by heaping tablespoons. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned. Makes about 3 dozen.

"Soft Sugar Cookies"
My favorite sugar cookie recipe is from Annie's Eats. You can see the recipe there and make them and love them. I tried rolling them out and using cookie cutters but I don't think this is the best recipe for cut cookies. These are thick and buttery and another great excuse to eat frosting.

"No-Bake Cookies"
These are a Syme family favorite. We had these so much growing up but I've never inquired where the recipe came from. I love these in the summer when I don't want to heat up my house or when I want cookies NOW.

1. Mix and boil: 2 cups sugar, 2 T butter, 2 T cocoa, 1/2 cup milk
2. Add 1/4 tsp salt, 3/4 cup peanut butter, 1/2 tsp vanilla
3. Mix well then add 2 cups oatmeal. Drop from spoon onto waxed paper.

I could list and link like a dozen more recipes that are delicious but I really think these are the essential recipes.

I don't care if my kids remember my dinners but I sure hope they brag about how good they had it in the cookie department.

**And I wish I had pictures of each of these cookies. Next time I make them, I'll come back and add a photo. This "no treats until Easter" thing sure put a halt to my baking.

1 comment:

Megan Goodrich said...

Love this, I will be trying all of them. I was just looking for a good PB cookie recipe the other day.