Wednesday, April 26, 2017

The Art of Homemaking: I Plan

Man, it's only April and I'm having a tough time coming up with a 4th post in this series. This month I tell you all about how much I plan.

I plan out just about everything. Yesterday I made a list of things I like about summer so that I can look forward to it instead of dread it. (I've been pregnant and/or sick the last two summers so I'm hoping I realize it's not as bad as I remember.) #1 on that list: Costco grapes. Pretty sure I spent $100 on grapes last summer.

See this notebook right here? I've had it for years and write down all my birthday and holiday and ward activity planning inside. My kids reading this notebook would pretty much ruin their belief in Santa.

I love making bucket lists for summer and Christmas activities. Christmas is a planning entity all of it's own. Gift lists, neighbor gift lists, cookie and treat lists, etc. Planning a trip is almost as fun as taking one.




I make timelines, preliminary budgets, and to do lists. There's a list in here of repairs and cosmetic fixes we need to make if we ever put our house on the market.













Up on my magnet board are the to do lists and hopping lists. I even have a "desserts to make" list.
I even make lists of lists I need to make. Plus I write down just about everything that's going to happen on my calendar. I don't think I'm a forgetful person but with a family of 6, I have a hard time keeping it all straight sometimes.

I've always been a planner but I think it's getting worse (or am I getting better?) Here is a list (I couldn't resist) of why planning every.little.thing works for me.

1.  If I don't plan it, I most likely won't do it. If I write "clean bathroom" on a post-it and stick it to my cabinet, I'm waaay more likely to do that most hated of all chores just because I love crossing off items as done.

2. But it may be more to do with the fact that it takes me a good day and a half to gear up and wrap my mind and commit to actually doing it.  I don't do well on the fly. I am not spontaneous or impulsive. Thus I plan.

3. It's a coping mechanism. I don't know if you know but having 4 kids is caaraaazzzyyyy. There are so many things I can't control but making lists and checking them twice gives me a sense of control---albeit sometimes a false sense.

Still not sure if this counts as "doing something right" but it works for me and keeps me sane.

1 comment:

Jenny Evans said...

If writing it on a list helps you get that bathroom clean, I think it's something you're absolutely doing right! I am a list-maker, too. Although maybe I should get on your notebook system because mine are scribbled on random reciepts and scraps of paper all over the house.