Friday, October 13, 2017

The Day I Didn't Mother Anyone

Last Saturday I went to Logan with my parents. Without my husband, without my kids for 12 hours. I wanted us all to go but we would either have to drive 4 hours in a day with James or sleepover at my brother's house with James. Neither option sounded great so Justin insisted I just ride up with my parents. I got to be a kid, sister, aunt but wasn't in charge of anyone. So weird.

This. This is why I went.
Every year USU puts on an agriculture day for the local growers and for $12 you can eat all the food you want. Yes, that's a lamb kabob in the center. Pork loin, beef strip, lamb sausage, onion rings, salad, roll, corn on the cob, Gossner chocolate milk, cheese sandwich, Sanpete turkey. Not pictured: apple, dried cherries, ice cream sandwich. I went back for a second kabob but forgot to get my free tulip bulbs. They've been doing this for several years and my sister and parents go but I hadn't been until now. It wasn't as crowded this year because it didn't coincide with Homecoming. I thought it was the best thing ever.

My dad, brother, brother-in-law and nephew went to the football game so Lisa and Jaana and I took a nostalgic tour of campus. Old Main is my most favorite. We could see the A from our house in River Heights when I was little. I had 3 classes in this building while I was a student and I loved it.
Looked the same inside, just empty on a Saturday afternoon.
I can't believe how much campus has changed and how much I had forgotten in 14 years. "Has this building always been here?" I'd say about a building built in 1899. Uh, yes.

This lady in the center is also why I went. This is my niece Jaana and it was also her 21st birthday! What?! If she's 21 then I can't be 26 and I am definitely still 26 so there's something going on here. She's a junior-senior this year. And her mom and USU alum Lisa is on the right.
After that we rounded up my sister and her boys and my mom and went to a corn maze and the American West Heritage center. I hadn't been there for awhile either and it looked totally different too.
They had some fun activities for the kids and since I didn't have any kids with me, it was up to me to make use of them.
 This made my legs tired.
 Jaana won Big Jenga.
 On our way out I saw this super cute baby cow. I took a picture for Erica.
Then we got dinner and then sang happy birthday to Jaana and then I rode back home with my parents. It was so strange not buckle anyone in a seat or worry about feeding or cleaning or looking after anyone. It's been at least a year since I'd been "on my own" for so long. It was a nice mental break to just go with the flow and not be in mom mode. I'd make it a tradition but Justin and the kids would enjoy it so much and next time I want to enjoy it with them.

2 comments:

Kirsta Silvey said...

That sounds amazing. Next time take me with you!

Megan Goodrich said...

This sounds wonderful! I wanna go! Love the pics of Old Main, makes me nostalgic. Love the campus up there and miss Logan so much!