We drove Thursday morning and got to our first stop, Dead Horse Point State Park at noon. This is also where Justin's parents met us. They drove down the night before.
Eating lunch in the bed of the truck in the parking lot of the visitor's center.
I had been here with my family when I was like 10 but didn't remember much other than thinking it wasn't that steep of a dropoff.
Legend has it some cowboys left a bunch of horses here to die.
It was pretty and cool. I remember it being really cold when I came as a kid and Justin remembers it being really windy when he came as a kid but this day was calm and sunny.
The littles completed their junior ranger booklets and got a pin. Justin also bought them compass bracelets.
Next stop was just a cliff over (but a 30 minute drive) at Canyonlands National Park. This is the 4th national park in Utah for my kids to visit. I don't know if I had ever been here before. Canyonlands is huge and divided in 3 parts by the Colorado and Green rivers and we only went into one third of it and didn't see much of it at that.
We mostly just drove to scenic overlooks but we did do one hike to Mesa arch that was just over a mile loop.
The littles climb up every rock they find and it makes me so nervous every time. Justin thinks I'm paranoid but Erica and James have fallen hard (St. George and Goblin Valley, respectively) so I'm not paranoid.
When I took these photos I couldn't see the screen of my phone very well facing the sun and all so they're pretty funny to look at now.
In case you missed that....
This was our last stop and my favorite.
I kind of want to walk through this "doorway"
And this was where James dropped his waterbottle. Lucky for him it wasn't a complete drop off so Justin was able to walk around and rescue it.From there we drove to Moab and ate dinner at the Moab Diner.
The boys took one of the spare bedrooms and the girls chose to sleep in the backyard in a tent. Erica loved it.
Friday morning we went to some mountain bike trails. I didn't take any pictures only videos but fun was had by all and no one got hurt.That afternoon we hiked to Millcreek Falls.
Justin is so good at selfies of us.
Thank you Corey for helping us out.
The water was freezing! We had to cross the stream a few times as we made our way up the canyon but the water at the falls was the coldest.
James got completely wet and wanted to head back down to sunshine right away. I yelled for him to wait and he thought I said go ahead so away he went barefoot and shivering in search of direct sunlight. Once I realized where he must have gone I took off after him. I found him quickly and we made our way to a sunny spot and waited for everyone to catch up.
That evening the men cooked some carne asada and it was delicious.
Saturday morning we woke up so early to get to Arches at 7 am. They have reserved entrance time and we got lucky and snagged the last one available but it was early for us. The kids were surprisingly pleasant about getting up at 6 and sneaking out of Braden's house in the dark.
We kind of forgot how tired we were when we saw this.
We got out of the car to hike a mile to the Delicate Arch overlook. We didn't feel up to the 3 mile hike to the arch itself. We'll save that for next time. It was 37 degrees.
We watched a rabbit in the brush on the way back to the truck. Then we had snacks. Every time we stopped the kids had to have a snack.

Next stop. Don't remember what this arch was called. It was really windy.
This was my favorite arch, Pinetree Arch. It looks like an elephant as you approach it.
Then you get to walk right up to it, no scary climbs or cliffs.Just a dead branch to sit under.
Then we continued on to Landscape Arch which should really be called Delicate Arch because it looks like it's going to completely crumble.
The trail continues on but we turned back. The kids were tired. Miraculously they got a burst of energy when they saw this sandy hill near the parking lot.
Ate more snacks, checked for more plates, used the restrooms then we went to a third and final area of the park.We actually spent a long time in this area. There are a few arches on a short loop and when you think the kids are done, they find some hidey hole or something to explore.
At this point and we were hot and dusty and tired so we headed out (it was only 2pm and 77 degrees) Now the kids can cross off all 5 of the National Parks in Utah, aka the Mighty Five. Thanks to Erica's 4th grade pass these last two were free. Pretty sure we saw the previous 3 for free too with Sarah's and Henry's passes.
On our way back to Braden's house we drove along the Colorado River up a canyon and then stopped at this bridge.
Erica did not like the bridge but she smiled long enough for this photo.
Then we went to Braden's house to pack up and we drove home and got there just in time to unload the car put the kids to bed.















































.jpg)















No comments:
Post a Comment