This is a pie I made from a youtuber that sounds like Winnie the Pooh. See the cute tree shape I cut? It calls for lard and yes I have lard. Instead of beef steak I used a jar of elk. You heard me.
Elk as in from Sarah's elk. I failed to share this big news last month. Sorry if you don't like bloody dead animal photos but it is how meat is made.
I wasn't there for the week long hunt but I hear she was a diligent hunter and such a trooper even when it was hard. There is so much more to this story but you'll have to ask Sarah all about it. She's been loving all the attention from all the hunters in the ward and family.They got home Friday and we spent all day Saturday processing the meat. Our freezer and jars are full. That brings us back to the elk pie I made with a jar of meat. The head is at the taxidermist and we'll hang it when it's done.
Anyways, back to Christmas. We went to the Festival of Lights. I wondered if the kids wanted to do this again since we do it every year and it's always the same. I got an emphatic yes from all of them. I told them that as long as one child wanted to go, we would go.
I wanted to wait for it to snow since it's prettier with all the white glowy snow but there's no snow in the forecast. We actually had some days in the 50s. What is going on? When I woke up James for school the first thing out of his mouth was "Did it snow?"
If James didn't love his teacher before, the blanket she gave him and all the kids in the class sealed the deal. He's been carrying this blanket from his room to the couch and then back to his room every day since.
Kids were in school all the way until the 22nd. Who does that? We have had such a busy month of basketball and church and orchestra that we haven't even had time to watch all the movies and do all the things. Sigh. The second to last day I helped in Erica's class during their Christmas party. This rotation they were to make marshmallow snowmen. See the example on the table.
This is how they turned out. Delaney gave Erica matching snuggies. She has been wearing hers almost nonstop since.
Here she is wearing it while delivering treats to the neighbors. She got mad at me for taking a photo of her in it. Then don't wear it out and about, dear.My nephew that recently returned home from a mission spent a few days cleaning out my parents storage room, bless his heart. He uncovered this box. This box is so old. It has something else in it now but when I was a kid it held the Christmas wrapping paper and curling ribbon. So many questions now. How did my mom come to have a beer box? Okay, just that one question.
School got out at noon Friday and it was like a starting shot to cram in all the pre-holiday fun. That night we made red and green enchiladas and watched Home Alone. Saturday morning we cut out sugar cookies.Saturday lunch the grownups in Justin's family went out for Thai food in Orem (no photos of the group) then we came home and prepped out Christmas Eve Eve dinner.
We had short ribs, risotto, vegetables and pretzel jello.
Then the kids opened their Christmas pajamas and a new Christmas book.
We watched Charlie Brown Christmas and went to bed.

































No comments:
Post a Comment