There are only 29 days in the whole summer break that all 6 of us are home. July 19 began a stretch of 7 of those days. Justin got home Friday evening so tired and sore but was up for some good Mapleton fun. We skipped out on the pancake breakfast this year since our kids don't really eat it and I'd rather save the $30 for ice cream.
Who's the cutest flag holder for the MYCC?I have no idea what these llamas were for but this was my favorite float.
Marching bands and bagpipe bands are a favorite too.
Since we didn't go to breakfast, we arrived at the parade area way later than we usually do and the road was already closed. So I dropped everyone off and drove to my parent's house a half mile down Maple Street and parked in their drive way then borrowed my mom's e-trike to ride back to the parade. It was so fun. Justin rode it over to the park after the parade and then I rode it back to their house and got the car when we were done with the bounce houses and stuff.
Sarah and her friend Kylie sold concessions so I didn't get to see her much.
Erica's first turn on the bull
James took a turn too
Erica's second turn
After a couple of hours the kids were hungry and Justin and I were kind of hot and tired of listening to the bounce house generators so we talked the kids into going home. We ate lunch and went to the grocery store and when Sarah was done we picked her up and went to Macey's to get ice cream cones.
Then we went to Ira Allen park for the ping pong ball drop, concert, and fireworks.
James's smile is so big because I got hit in the head with one of those flying things he has in his hand while taking his picture.
Henry found BYU basketball player Richie Saunders (He's from Mapleton too. He actually lives like half a mile from us.)
The kids ran off a lot as they saw friends they knew or to go to the playground. I wasn't too worried until it started to get dark but I didn't lose anyone. The firework show was bonkers bananas like it always is. It's ridiculous but makes the heat and horrible cover band worth it.
Sunday was National Ice Cream Day. You better believe we celebrate this. We made homemade waffle cones. It had been so long since we've done this Erica and James had no idea what we were doing or that we had a waffle cone iron.
Sidenote but should really be a headline: James is wearing jeans! The kids were all dressed up making their movie version of the Bang! card game and James wore jeans! I had to take a picture because this may not happen again.
Actual Pioneer Day was on Thursday. Justin had to work and I talked Henry into coming to Costco with me to look at clothes. Just kidding, I never have to talk Henry to come to Costco with me.
I really like this tree so I took a picture of it so I can look it up and wonder if I can buy one and wonder where I'm going to put it in my yard.
"Mom, donutettes!"
It took a little convincing on my part that it was pronounced just donettes. I didn't buy them but we took a photo for his birthday list, just like when he was 5.
I made homemade ice cream and a Dutch oven peach cobbler and we met my sisters and their families at my parents house for a good old timey pioneer day dinner.It was a group effort getting dinner ready and the men cooked it out by the barn and were very ingenious in using a shovel to carry it back to the deck. In fact, you could say they were pioneers.
My dad's cousin and his wife joined us for the evening. They recently moved from Moroni to Springville so that's fun having more family close by. Never met them before but still fun.

I don't always make peach cobbler in a Dutch oven with homemade vanilla ice cream but when I do, everyone rejoices.
All day long my brain was full of t-shirt ideas for Pioneer Day. My best idea is one that simply says "SANPETE ROOTS" I have a theory that everyone has an ancestral tie to Sanpete County so it would be a big seller. Plus when you're wearing it, strangers will be like, Oh my grandpa settled in Sanpete as a pioneer" and you'll be like, "mine too" and we'll all be friends (we're already all cousins).
Sarah leaves today for 16 days in Kenya and I'm already sad. Also coming up in the next couple of weeks: the 20th anniversary of our first date, Justin leaves for a canoe trip, Henry goes to FSY and I take the littles to motel with a mini water park. Plus school shopping, of course.






























No comments:
Post a Comment